burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

The Benefits of Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Whether it’s getting hand-me-downs from cousins or older siblings, repurposing an old t-shirt into a dishrag or going straight to a thrift store for Halloween costumes, thrifting is something almost everyone does at least once in their life. Thrift stores aren’t just a place for cheap Halloween costumes though. There are many reasons to go to Goodwill and Value Village, and I’m about to tell you the best ones.

SHE CHEAP!

I don’t know any other place where you can get quality shoes for $5, but my favorite shoes I own are straight off of the Value Village shelf. I cannot think of a better way to spend my money. 

THRIFTING IS AMAZING FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

There is a big issue with cheap clothing being worn maybe 5 times, getting a hole in it, and proceeding to throw it in the garbage. That adds to the landfill and is, of course, not good for the planet. If you’re into thrifting, you can donate the clothes from your own wardrobe that you don’t want and pick up new stuff, therefore, eliminating the waste aspect.

YOU GET A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Remember when Avril Lavigne when on tour in 2011? How about when Justin Bieber released “Baby” for the first time? Seeing old concert t-shirts and things that your 10-year-old self would’ve gone crazy for isn’t out of the ordinary. You can genuinely walk down memory lane when searching through the racks in thrift stores.

YOU CAN FURNISH YOUR DORM FOR DIRT CHEAP

They’ve got cups, plates, trinkets, kitchenware, even appliances and art that was tacky when it was made and still tacky now, but at least you can say it’s “ironic.”

IT’S LIKE A COMPETITIVE TREASURE HUNT

You’re searching through isles trying to find LuluLemon tights, and you finally find a pair that’s in perfect condition. The girl who was looking through the pants rack beside you gives you a jealous look and walks away… You won. The pants are yours and for less than half of what it would cost you in-store. That is a feeling you can only get at a thrift store when you’re searching through the racks for a while and find the perfect item. The best kind of treasure hunt, in my opinion.

YOU CAN TRY NEW STYLES

I always love playing around with new styles, and when you get things from thrift stores, it makes it so much easier! If you try a style for a bit and decide you don’t like it, then it’s not a big deal. You didn’t spend a lot of money on it. You can donate it back without going into debt, and you figured out that that particular style is not for you. It’s guilt-free!

I personally love thrifting. I’m currently challenging myself to only thrift clothes for the entire school year. Fingers crossed it goes well, and it is a lot easier then I think it will be (not that I think it will be that hard though). I’m not saying that you need to go headfirst into thrifting absolutely everything, but making it an aspect of your life is clearly beneficial and a great way to live life. All that’s needed is a little effort going through racks, and you can find some lovely gems.

Ali Stadnyk

U Alberta '23

I am in my third year of my BSc in Nutrition and Food Science.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!