This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

When you scroll through my author profile, you’ll probably notice a lot of articles having to do with mental health and school advice. While I‘ve enjoyed writing on these topics because they feel natural and relevant to myself and my audience, I have also often had doubts about the value attached to them. I thought that I was settling, writing what was easy because that was easiest for me, not because I was confident about the substance of them. Then today, for the first time during my educational journey, I realized that so far this year I have managed to feel like a student and a person (my student master status typically dominates my life). When I reflected on why that was, I found that I took a lot of what I wrote to heart and applied it to my own life and I have to say, the difference has been overwhelming. My talk of patience with the self, of adjusting expectations, and making time for you have all contributed to a much more balanced lifestyle this year. When I do take time off from studying, I harbour less guilt and am much more able to enjoy myself than in the past. One of the benefits I feel the most is that I have more guilt-free time to spend with my partner, a fact I know he appreciates as much as I do. In the spirit of this change- for myself, and to encourage you as well- I wanted to compile a list of easy fall date ideas that I will definitely, actually, have time to enjoy this year. 

Corn Maze

The Edmonton Corn Maze is probably one of the only situations in which getting lost will actually be fun. When I attended a previous year, my boyfriend and I accidentally split up and I spent an embarrassing (but hilarious) amount of time basically doing a loop while we were trying to find each other again. Yes, I probably looked like a maniac giggling and running past the same people by myself but that giddy, rewarding feeling when we were reconnected was totally worth it. Anyways, it’s a blast and they also have pumpkins and snacks for purchase, farm animals, and other fun activities. 

Elk Island

Fall b*tches love leaves. (I’m b*tches, and you probably are too). The spectacle of changing leaves is one of the most magical and aesthetically pleasing aspects of fall whether your interest is artistic or casual. If this is something you appreciate, I would definitely recommend spending an afternoon walking or picnicking at Elk Island. It’s flush with foliage and makes for a breathtaking sight in the fall season. 

Coffee/Tea + River Valley

Can you tell that I like walking? My boyfriend and I have spent a large amount of our outdoor time in Edmonton sharing coffees beside the river in pretty much every season, and fall is definitely no exception since, as I mentioned above, the leaves are poppin’. Any of the wide range of parks in the valley make great places to enjoy the beauty of the season and the beauty of your partner simultaneously. 

Haunted House

There are a couple of haunted houses to choose from in Edmonton, one being Deadmonton and the other, Dark. Deadmonton features two haunts this year, one called Dusk in which “the dead will rise,” and another which is themed as a tour of Area 51. One general admission to both haunts will run you $35. Dark has a variety of events to choose from including a paranormal investigation, haunted escape room, and Halloween-themed mixology class. Tickets range in price from about $50-$100. 

Scary Movie Night 

Netflix and chill but make it spooky: turn out the lights, stock up on the snacks and blankets, get cozy, and watch some scary movies. Sweet and simple. 

Pumpkin Carving

Pumpkin carving is messy and completely unnecessary in most situations but f*ck is it fun. It’s always refreshing to get creative with your partner and to have a visual reminder of the memory (until it goes bad or gets smashed by some passerby at least). The spoils may be short lived but they’re cute to look at while they’re there and the seeds make a great snack.  

Bonfire 

Fall is a great time to (safely and responsibly!) have an evening fire. They’re a romantic supper alternative we actually do quite often and it always makes for a lovely night. Whether you want to cook a meal, enjoy some snacks and drinks or just observe and enjoy it, they’re a great option for a cold fall evening. There are many accessible firepits in and near Edmonton in the river valley parks as well as at Elk Island. 

I'm an undergrad student who's all about balance: my favourite pants are of the pyjama variety and I love to cozy up inside with Netflix and coffee, but I also love to get outside and walk in our riverside parks or try a new activity in town. You'll find me on campus in the sunniest study spots, soaking up some rays as I work towards my Journalism degree.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.