6 Breakfast Recipes to Brighten up Your Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I have to say, the extra time that most of us have now might be one of the silver linings to living though a global pandemic. I’ve been spending a large amount of this time in the kitchen and I have to say I’m not mad at the results at all. Breakfast has become a whole event in my household, and if you happen to try any of these recipes, you’ll see exactly why.

Banana Pancake

The perfect way to use up bananas that aren’t ripe enough for banana bread but still too ripe to eat- mash them and toss them into some pancake mix!

The full spread ™

You’ve probably had some version of this at your favourite brunch spot, but I doubt it had a name as catchy and inviting as this! There are a lot of different ways to modify it but at its core, it is a savoury-breakfast-lover’s dream: eggs, hashbrowns, sausages/bacon and buttered toast.

Smoothie bowl

This satisfying meal might be the closest thing you’ll get to ice-cream for breakfast (if your blended can manage it).

Savoury French toast

Truth be told, I only made this when I got bored of eating The full spread ™ . It has quickly become a staple though. Pieces of bread are dipped in an egg and milk mixture, topped lightly with shredded cheese, then fried on medium heat till they turn golden brown. *chefs kiss*

Sweet French toast

The classic version we all know and love. Drizzle on some syrup or honey and cut up some fresh fruit to make it even more decadent.

Chicken and waffles

This is the most time-consuming recipe on this list, but also the most fulfilling; sweet and salty is a combination that you can never go wrong with. If you don’t have a waffle-maker, buy premade waffles; this will speed up the cooking process.

Ver-Se Denga

U Alberta '21

Ver-Se is in her 4th year of uni, studying Biology and Psychology and serving as Senior Editor of the UAlberta Chapter. She loves to read and can't imagine a world without Chimamanda Adichie in it.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.