5 Shows to Binge Watch on your Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

With finals approaching, having a clear study schedule is crucial to being able to prepare efficiently for all your exams. This also means having set breaks to allow your brain to turn off and recharge. Now usually this should be away from the screen to rest your eyes as well, but let’s be honest, all our breaks consist of watching Netflix, or now that Disney+ is out, catching up on all the childhood shows that we would watch after school. To help you plan your study breaks accordingly, here are some shows on Netflix that you can watch on your study and snack breaks. 

Day Break

Now I personally haven’t watched this, but if you like zombies, doomsday and love then this one is for you. Daybreak is about a teenage outcast who is searching for his long-lost love in a post apocalyptic world full of zombies and gangs. 

Grey’s Anatomy

This one is obvious. Everyone needs a little Meredith in their lives (and Christina depending on what season you’re on). It mixes drama, education and all around good tv in one spot. And if your pre-med consider it as studying!

The Good Place

Two words: Kristen Bell. Who doesn’t love watching Kristen Bell attempt swearing and all that comes out is fork? This feel good show combines comedy, drama and a little bit of mistaken identity?

Gilmore Girls

Gilmore girls is simply the best show to watch on a break. Because if your like me and have watched it multiple times, then it’s easy to just play in the background and tune in whenever. Plus, who doesn’t love some good mother-daughter drama. And if you have never seen this, you are seriously missing out.

The Crown

History, family drama, and real events depicted onto the big screen all makes for good TV. Season 3 was just released on Netflix with the new cast and this is what I’ll be binge watching on my study breaks. Who needs a history book when you can just watch it on Netflix?

Obviously, we don’t want you watching Netflix instead of studying, but do me mindful of your mental health. You can’t do a lot when your falling asleep on your laptop or staring aimlessly out the window. Your body will tell you when you need a break, so please make sure you listen to it. Even if you feel like you can’t take a break, you are usually already at the point of needing a break. Take a walk, watch some Netflix and ace those finals!

Sophie Hurst

U Alberta '22

Hi! My name is Sophie and I am in my third year of my History and Classics Degree. In my spare time I am most likely watching Netflix, reading or studying.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.