This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Written By Debby Oladimeji

Netflix has been in their bag this entire pandemic, and they recently posted on Twitter letting us know they’re going to be dropping amazing movies every single week. I have watched all the available trailers and will be letting you my top five most anticipated out of their movie list, in no particular order!

The Kissing Booth 3

I will be watching this one completely ironically and also because I have devoted time into watching the other two movies and I can’t stop now! Kissing Booth 3 will be picking up from where we left off in the second part of The Kissing Booth movies and we will see whether Elle chooses to go to Harvard with her man, Noah, or Berkeley with her best friend/Noah’s brother, Lee. This is the last movie in the franchise so I’m really excited to see how they wrap this up.

Malcolm & Marie (Dropping February 5th)

I am so excited for this one! It’s an upcoming black-and-white film starring the gorgeous Zendaya, and John David Washington, who just recently did his thing in the Christopher Nolan film, Tenet!! According to Netflix, the movie is about what occurs “when filmmaker Malcolm (John David Washington) and his girlfriend Marie (Zendaya) return home from a movie premiere and await his film’s critical response, the evening takes a turn as revelations about their relationships begin to surface, testing the couple’s love.” To be honest, we don’t know a whole lot about the plot of this film but that makes me even more excited and I trust it’s going to be great. It’s written and directed by Sam Levinson who is the creator of Euphoria, which is a top-tier show.

Red Notice

This is a must-watch for me simply because Ryan Reynolds holds a special place in my heart, with other major stars starring in this film such as Gal Gadot and Dwayne Johnson, I have high hopes for this movie. This movie is about “an INTERPOL-issued Red Notice, which is a global alert to hunt and capture the world’s most wanted. But when a daring heist brings together the FBI’s top profiler (Johnson) and two rival criminals (Gadot, Reynolds), there’s no telling what will happen.” I’m hoping for a lot of laughs with this one, fingers crossed!

Sweet Girl

This is another must-watch for me because I absolutely love thrillers! Hands down the best movie genre, and I also love Jason Momoa. Any opportunity to see him on my screen, I will definitely take! The plot of this movie is centered around a wronged husband who is out to get revenge on the people responsible for his wife’s death while protecting their daughter. I’m hoping for some wild twists with this one, I want to be on the edge of my seat! It’s giving very John Wick, but I guess we’ll have to see if it generates as much hype as the John Wick movies did.

Tick, Tick…Boom!

I cannot contain my excitement about this upcoming musical drama! It is directed by Lin Manuel Miranda who gave us the brilliant work of art, Hamilton. I have such high hopes for this one and I can not wait to annoy everyone around me with lackluster performances of the iconic musical pieces I’m expecting. The musical is based on a semi autobiographical musical written by Jonathan Larson who lest we forget wrote RENT, about an aspiring musical theatre composer who suffers from a midlife crisis as he is about to go into his 30s and feels as though he is not close to actualizing his dreams. It stars Andrew Garfield and Vanessa Hudgens, this is one I cannot stress my excitement about enough, I know it’s going to be amazing.

Debby Oladimeji

U Alberta '22

I'm in my 3rd year of my science degree at the UofA, majoring in Honours Neuroscience. I love TV, movies and I love keeping up with current events!
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!