Anna Schultz-Denim Jacket With Patches And Milkshake
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

3 Whyte Ave Spots for 3 Moods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

As a student at the University of Alberta, a goal of mine when moving to Edmonton was securing a place to live reasonably close to campus. I was lucky enough to find an apartment in the Strathcona neighbourhood and one of my favourite aspects of this has been the easy access to Whyte Avenue. Whyte Ave is an Edmonton staple, boasting restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and activities to satisfy any taste. Sometimes walking down the Ave can feel like scrolling through Netflix, where the sheer amount of options has you walking forever, wondering what’s going to show up on the next block. To help with this issue (as I myself still face it) I’ve summarized some of my favourite locations so far for the different moods or situations you may be in.

In need of some me-time?

Block 1912 Café, 10361 82 Ave NW

Block 1912 is perfect for when you feel like taking yourself out on a date and unwinding from the stress of the week. With low lighting, a warm wooden and pipe interior and book nook, the atmosphere is calm and inviting. Their menu includes desserts like cakes and gelato, sandwiches and homecooked classics, and a variety of beverages including tea, coffee (Irish, if you’d like), cocktails and more. If you’re in the mood for more of an activity than a meal, they have live music every Monday and Wednesday at 7pm, making it a great place whether you’re in the mood for entertainment or to settle in and get cozy.

Looking for a budget-friendly night out?

The Hexagon Board Game Café, 10750 82 Ave NW

In the age of technology, it can be nice to go back to our roots, put down the phones, and bond (or battle) with friends and loved ones. Hexagon combines the nostalgia of over 600 boardgames with an urban evening out, offering snacks galore and a range of beverage options (I tried a latte when I went, would definitely get again). With a gaming rate of just $2.50/hour/person, Hexagon makes for a refreshing and meaningful way to experience the city without breaking the bank.

Feel like throwin’ it back?

Dadeo Restaurant, 10548A 82 Ave NW

If you’re in the mood for something a little more retro, Dadeo is the place for you. Sporting a 50’s diner theme, neon accents and jazzy artwork this restaurant takes you back to another era, but don’t expect to share a milkshake with your sweetheart here; the menu is inspired by Cajun classics from New Orleans so prepare for more spice than sugar. Po’boys, gumbo, jambalaya, and seafood dishes pair well with their on-theme cocktails and you can finish it all off with a slice of key lime pie. Some great things to try are their award-winning sweet potato fries or weekly special, and if those don’t fit the bill for you then you’re still sure to enjoy their buzzing, vibrant atmosphere.

I'm an undergrad student who's all about balance: my favourite pants are of the pyjama variety and I love to cozy up inside with Netflix and coffee, but I also love to get outside and walk in our riverside parks or try a new activity in town. You'll find me on campus in the sunniest study spots, soaking up some rays as I work towards my Journalism degree.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!