10 Small Tips for Successful Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

The dreaded season is coming up. Finals season. Our least favourite time of the year, when stress takes over and it’s constant studying. I thought this would be a good time to throw out my studying essentials that ensure a successful study session. They’re all simple tips that you can easily incorporate into your study routine this semester!

Find your perfect study spot

My favourite places to study are places that are quiet and have a window with a fairly nice view. I like to have the kind of quiet where I feel comfortable but don’t feel pressured to be a mouse. Having a window beside me gives me natural light and something beautiful to give my eyes a bit of a break from studying. Of course, everyone is different in what works for them, so try out different spaces until you find the one that’s perfect for you!

Keep an organized study space

It’s important for me to have my materials organized so I have no excuses for distraction when I’m studying. If my desk is messy, I’m more likely to use cleaning that up as an excuse to procrastinate and it always leads to me wasting time on my phone. It helps knowing where my materials are so when I need to change subjects I can do so without consuming too much time. Plus it never hurts to have aesthetic desk space.

Put your cellphone away

It’s hard. Seriously, I get it. My phone is probably my biggest distraction other than my own thoughts wandering around in my mind. If I leave it on, I hear the notifications. If I turn it off, I check it for notifications. The best thing I can do is to put it away. If I’m studying at school, I’ll put it in my backpack, and if I’m studying at home then I’ll hide it somewhere in my room.

Use the Pomodoro Technique

I mentioned this method in one of my previous articles, because it’s seriously so helpful. Work for 25 minutes and then take a 5-minute break. Working with these intervals allows you to focus for long enough to work but not so long your mind begins to wander. If you break focus during that 25 minutes, that’s totally okay, just take a breather and then restart! Try to take a little walk and drink some water during your break and do your best to avoid going on your phone. 

Keep a notepad on your desk

I’m constantly distracted by my own thoughts when I’m working. Once a thought pops into my mind, usually something I need to get done, I need to follow through with it. A friend suggested that I keep a notepad on my desk. When a thought enters my mind while I’m working, I write it down and come back to it later. That way, I acknowledge the thought but don’t let it consume more of my time.

Wear something comfy

If I’m having a serious study session, I absolutely cannot be wearing jeans. I need to either wear a pair of leggings or my Lululemon On The Fly pants (these are so comfy and cute, I 100% recommend!). A loose shirt or sweater is my go-to as well as comfortable shoes and a big blanket scarf in the winter. There is nothing worse than trying to study when you feel constricted in skinny jeans, no matter how cute they look. I also like to curl up on my chair when I’m studying and that’s just hard to do in jeans.

Have snacks and water

The only thing good about studying is the excuse to snack so I always keep snacks on me while I’m studying. I usually opt for snacks that are crunchy because I find the crunch helps me stay focused. Snacks like peanuts, apples, or pretzels are perfect because they’re quick to pack, crunchy, and easy to eat. Water is just as important as snacks. A teacher once told me that drinking water while you study helps you absorb the material. I must admit I’m not totally sure if that’s been proven but it never hurts to stay hydrated.

Listen to music

Some days I’m in an instrumental study music kind of mood and other days I’m in a hip hop study music kind of mood. It depends on the day and how stressed I am. I definitely find that I can concentrate best when I’m listening to some sort of instrumental music or one of those soundtracks on YouTube that claim to promote brain waves that help you concentrate, honestly I have no idea if or how that works. It’s totally personal preference, some people can’t listen to music at all when they study. If that’s the case, try using some earplugs to block out any noise.

Study with friends!

Studying with my friends definitely keeps me focused. It can be distracting at first when everyone is catching up but once that’s all done, it’s just really nice to have my friends around me. It’s a good way to stay accountable, knowing that everyone has work to do and you don’t want to be their distraction. Not only that but being with my friends makes studying just a bit more bearable. We’ll take breaks together, showing each other funny pictures or videos, having a mini dance sesh, or taking a walk and grabbing some food. It’s also helpful to have a friend close by when you need a mini school-related breakdown or dance break!

Remember that mental health comes first

If you find yourself becoming emotionally exhausted and mentally drained, take a break. I mean it. Mental health is extremely important, especially when it comes to one of the most stressful times of the year, finals. When you start to become overwhelmed, take a walk, talk to a friend, family member, or mental health professional. Maybe you just need to take a nap and recharge, whatever it is that you need to do to protect your wellbeing, do it. It might seem like getting everything done is the most important thing and your top priority, but your top priority should be taking care of yourself. You are working hard and everything will be okay in the end. You deserve to take a break.

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.