The Next Oprah Winfrey-Rosie Owusu-Hemeng

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX Tech chapter.

This Weeks Campus Celebrity is Rosie Owusu-Hemeng.

We are all not blessed with the gift of gab or able to get up in front of large audiences without sweaty palms and a shaky voice. Rosie seems to have a natural talent and is at home in the spot light, in front of the camera, and even behind the microphone.
            Rosie is an all around entertainer.  From Hosting events, acting, and music features, on special occasions, she seems to have a hand in every aspect of entertainment and seems to be very comfortable there. She is not afraid of embarrassing herself simply for the entertainment of others. 
            Kashus Klay, a popular musician on campus, has featured Rosie in his song, “Funky Fresh”. She was the star of a video imitating the popular Erykah Badu’s “Window Seat.”  In this talked about video the original shows Badu getting completely undressed in downtown Dallas. In the rendition Rosie only gets partially unclothed while walking down Glenna Goodacre in Lubbock, Texas, but even this sparked a buzz on campus.

Students may have also seen Rosie in the “Vaginal Monologues” as a moaner in the Spring 2011 show and reciting a monologue in the previous year. I don’t know too many women who would feel comfortable moaning on stage in front of hundreds of her peer, but Rosie did it with ease. She is often called upon to host various events on campus. Rosie has hopes of becoming the next Oprah and she is definatly on her way.

Not only is she a great entertainer but she also is a great leader. During the 2010-2011 Rosie was the president of the Black Student Association and a member of a variety of others. Rosie is always willing to help anyone or any organization who needs her help.
            When I asked where she sees herself in 10 years she replied, “Living in Texas with children and being someone’s wife.” As you can tell from her reply she is not only in search of the limelight but she is also family oriented.
            Rosie plans to graduate in December of this year, 2011, with a Bachelors of Communications. Shortly after graduation she plans to move to New York with one of her best friends to hopefully begin her career. She says that she hasn’t thought of a back-up plan but I doubt she’ll need one. 

Jaira is a student at Texas Tech University in her last year.