Vanessa Cortez, Student Body President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

This hard-working Bobcat is the current Student Body President of the Associated Student Government. Vanessa’s passion for helping the student body and university become an even better place is obvious and infectious to those around her. 

IM: Aside from your work with ASG, are you involved in any on-campus activities?

VC: Student Foundation, College Republicans, and Gamma Phi Beta

IM: Do you have a favorite class or professor at Texas State? 

VC: Introduction to Mass Communication with Dr. Laurie Fluker was by far the best class I have taken. I took this class my first semester of college, and after three and a half years it still remains my favorite.

IM: What’s your favorite San Marcos hangout or restaurant?

VC: Bobcat Nation! This restaurant has so much Texas State spirit, and they have great food. 

IM: If today was your last day on earth what would you do? 

VC: I would spend every second with my closest family and friends because they mean the world to me.

IM: If you had a spirit animal what would it be?

VC: Definitely a cheetah. Cheetahs are fierce, and I happen to love cheetah print.

IM: Who is your favorite celebrity? 

VC: Ellen DeGeneres is my favorite celebrity, because she never fails to make me laugh. She’s also a great example of someone who uses their talent and fame to help other people.

IM: Is there anyone in your life you would consider as a role model to you? 

VC: My best friend, Alison Sibley, who was Student Body Vice President last year, has been my role model since I first met her my freshman year. She has always supported me and encouraged me to do things I never thought I could do. 

IM: Any advice for freshman just starting out at Texas State? 

VC: My advice for freshmen is to get involved! The best thing I ever did was get involved in a student organization. Not only do you make great friends, but you learn valuable leadership skills that will help you in your future.

Student at Texas State University. Lover of all things beauty and TV related.