Your Quick, Last Minute Guide to The Oscars 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In Case You Didn’t See…

The Revenant – The true story of Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) who comes to the uncharted American frontier in 1823 and is left for dead by his hunting team after a bear attack leaves him on the brink of death.  Glass must muster his strength and utilize his survival skills to make it back home and seek vengeance for John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), the man who facilitated the ultimate betrayal.  

Trumbo – In 1947, screenwriter Dalton Trumbo (Bryan Cranston) and other Hollywood figures are blacklisted for their political beliefs. 

The Big Short – In 2008, Michael Burry (Christian Bale) bets against the failing housing market by throwing $1 million of his investors’ money into credit default swaps.  Banker Jared Vennett (Ryan Gosling) and hedge fund specialist Mark Baum (Steve Carell) are among those who notice what Burry is doing and join in.  Together, they take advantage of America’s impending economic collapse and make a fortune in the process. 

The Danish Girl – Inspired by the true story, artist Einer Wegner (Eddie Redmayne), with the support of his loving wife Gerda (Alicia Vikander, prepares to undergo one of the first sex-change operations despite the restrictive societal norms of the 20th century.  

Room – After being held captive for seven years, Jack (Jacob Tremblay) and his mother Joy (Brie Larson) finally escape to freedom.  Since she has been gone though, Joy’s family and world have changed and she struggles in trying to cope.

Bridge of Spies – Based on a true story, New York lawyer James Donovan (Tom Hanks) forms an unexpected and unique bond with convicted Soviet spy Rudolf Abel (Mark Rylance) after representing him in court.  Donovan is then recruited to help retrieve U.S pillot Francis Powers who has been captured by the Soviet Union and sentenced to ten years in prison.  He must travel to Berlin to negotiate the young pilot’s freedom through a prisoner exchange of Abel for Powers.

45 Years – As she prepares to celebrate her 45th wedding anniversary, Kate Mercer (Charlotte Rampling) learns that her husband (Tom Courtenay) was once engaged to someone else.  

Joy – The film follows Joy’s (Jennifer Lawrence) struggles with love, innocence and betrayal in her process of founding a business dynasty.  

Mad Max: Fury Road – After the collapse of civilization, apocalypse survivors are enslaved by tyrannical Immortan Joe.  Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) recruits some women to follow her daring escape with the help of former captive Max Rocatansky (Tom Hardy). The film chronicles their high speed chase through the Wasteland in their armored truck, the War Rig, with Immortan Joe following closely behind.

The Martian – After a fierce storm on planet Mars, astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead by his crew and they return to Earth.  Watney must utilize his intelligence and the few supplies he has in order to survive while NASA and fellow astronauts work to bring him home.

Brooklyn – In 1952, Irish immigrant Eilis Lacey (Saoirse Ronan) struggles with homesickness as she looks for work in the U.S.  Things start to look up when she falls for an Italian plumber (Emory Cohen) but faces temptation from another man (Domhnall Gleeson) upon returning to Ireland for a visit.

Spotlight – In 2001, The Boston Globe’s Spotlight journalist team investigates allegations against Father John Geoghan, who has been accused of molesting more than 80 boys. As the team digs deeper, they find that an entire conspiracy of lawyers and government officials have known about this and continue to help Boston Archdiocese hide this secret and deny justice to their victims.  It becomes their quest to prove this cover-up of sexual assault within the Roman Catholic Church.

Steve Jobs – In 1984, Apple Inc. co-founders Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender) and Steve Wozniak prepare to unveil the first Macintosh.  After being fired, Jobs launches NeXT Inc. and prepares to release a new computer in 1988 while simultaneously dealing with personal issues related to ex-girlfriend Chrisann Brennan and their young daughter Lisa.  Ten years later, Jobs is back at Apple and ready to revolutionize the digital age.  

The Hateful Eight – In post Civil War Wyoming, bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his prisoner (Jennifer Jason Leigh) encounter another bounty hunter (Samuel L. Jackson) and a man who claims to be a sheriff.  Together, they seek shelter from a blizzard and come to the realization that they may not reach their destination of Red Rock after all.

THE NOMINEES: 

Best Picture

The Revenant 

Bridge of Spies 

Brooklyn 

Mad Max: Fury Road 

The Martian 

Room 

Spotlight

Best Director

Lenny Abrahamson – Room

Alejandro G. Iñárritu – The Revenant

Tom Mccarthy – Spotlight 

Adam McKay – The Big Short

George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett – Carol

Brie Larson – Room

Jennifer Lawrence – Joy

Charlotte Rampling – 45 Years

Saoirsie Ronan – Brooklyn

Best Actor 

Leo DiCaprio – The Revenant

Bryan Cranston – Trumbo

Matt Damon – The Martian

Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs

Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl

Best Supporting Actress 

Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl

Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs

Rooney Mara – Carol

Rachel McAdams – Spotlight

Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight

Best Supporting Actor 

Tom Hardy – The Revenant

Mark Ruffalo – Spotlight

Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies

Sylvester Stallone – Creed

Christian Bale – The Big Short

The Red Carpet event begins at 6pm CST followed by the ceremony at 7:30pm on ABC.  

To see the rest of the nominations, click here.  Happy watching!

Psychology & English double major, lover of animals, movies, books and all things New Orleans.
Her Campus Tulane