Working Girl Guide: The Key to Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Here’s the problem: there is no one way have a great interview. The whole issue with interviews is that (at least) two people are involved and both have to think that the conversation went well. While the interviewee might have thought they aced the questions, the interviewer might have been looking for something completely different than the actual answers. But don’t fret; here are a few tips that work no matter who is on the other side of the table.

1. Don’t Panic. This might seem like a no-brainer, but when you’re sitting across from your idle at Vogue or the coolest new computer programmer, it’s easy to lose your head. When you feel your palms getting sweaty and that nervous laugh bubbling in your throat, stop. Take a deep breath. Your interviewer will appreciate that you took the time to think through your answer rather than give them some stock response, and you’ll remember how to string a sentence together.
  2. Do Your Homework. No matter what company you’re trying to work for, they want to know why you’ve chosen to send your application to them. What makes their company interesting to you? What department would be your ideal place to work and why? Having looked into the company beforehand (which you should have done when you sent in your resume and cover letter. See Writing that Professional E-mail) will keep you from sputter out some generic answer.
  3. Know When to Have Fun. Don’t start off your interview by talking about your Spring Break in Cabo and how your margarita brought all the boys to the yard, but don’t be a professional robot, either. Sometimes you just click with your interviewer and both of you get totally off topic. That’s okay. People want to work with those similar to themselves, so having common interests only helps your chances, not hinders them.

Her Campus Tulane