This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Most college students have experienced this by now: last semester you finally came up with your almost perfect schedule and feel great about it (as great as you can feel about enrolling in an 8 AM course). The first day of the new semester begins, and you arrive at one of your classes…and you realize you can’t take this class. Whether the material is too complicated or you have no interest in the lessons, you will struggle with what you should do about your class. Should you drop it or try your best to get through it? To help make this decision, most students will need to talk with their advisors about what to do next.

My Experience

When I enrolled in my first semester last fall, I had no idea how tough college would be, and I had one math class that I was extremely uncomfortable in. I was upset with myself because I believed I wasn’t qualified to take the class, and it was only my first day. Thankfully, my advisor reached out to me and informed me I still needed a math credit to graduate, but she listened to my complaints and helped me switch into another course that I felt much more prepared for. By talking to my advisor and making the decision to drop the class, I was able to maintain a better balance between my school and social life and take classes that I enjoyed.

My Advice

While it may seem daunting at first to schedule an appointment and talk face-to-face with someone about your future, remember that your advisor wants you to succeed just as much as you do. They are there for a reason and have no desire to see you unhappy or miserable in your current schedule. Advisors can assist you in many areas of your academic career, whether you have doubts about taking a class, don’t know how to pursue your degree, or even what major you want to be, scheduling a time to meet with your advisor can help you solve any issues you are experiencing. They can also serve as valuable resources for questions about scholarships, study abroad programs, or clubs or activities that are established on your campus. With my advisor’s help, I realized I didn’t want to be a business major and she not only helped me rearrange my schedule, but she also made sure I still had time to do the activities I love, such as performing on my school’s dance team.

As a writer that loves to give other students advice on how to survive, I can honestly say that some days, I struggle just as much in school as everyone else does. I am still not sure exactly what I want to do, and I still freak out over what classes I’m going to take next semester. The one piece of advice that I confidently say helped me through my first semester of college was meeting (or emailing) with my advisor often. She was and still is, there to answer every question I have about my classes, calms my nerves down, and helps me feel more comfortable on Tulane’s campus. I strongly recommend that all college students begin or continue to meet with their advisor, because we all need a little help from time to time.

Taryn Clarke

Tulane '23

Hey! My name is Taryn, and I am a proud member of the Tulane class of 2023! I love to dance, read, write, and I am huge Disney nerd!
Her Campus Tulane