Why Taylor Swift’s Netflix Doc “Miss Americana” is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Political Awareness

Through Taylor Swift’s own political awakening, we can learn a thing or two about the role of politics in popular America. Swift’s personal journey can encourage us to start getting more engaged and educated in politics.

Voter Registration

Swift had encouraged people to vote through social media and speeches, and continues to do so throughout the documentary. We get a peak behind the curtain of the “Swift Lift,” in which the pop star has encouraged thousands to register to vote!

Personal Happiness

In today’s age of social media, many of us are obsessed with how others perceive us. Swift began to crave strangers’ approval to an extreme level. If the crowd was cheering, she was happy. If she lost an award, she was sad. Over the last few years, Swift began to find happiness on her own terms. Her family, lover, and mental state come first.

Body Positivity

As Swift opens up for the first time ever about her eating disorder, she discusses what types of positive thinking help her through her destructive thoughts. She reminds herself that keeping her body strong and healthy through food is important not only for her performing career but also for her physical health. Swift teaches viewers to work on positively reminding themselves that their bodies serve key functions.

Believing Sexual Assault Victims

By reflecting upon Swift’s own sexual assault trial, she reminds viewers to always listen to victims of sexual assault. She has acknowledged the amount of privilege she had in her trial, as someone with seven witnesses, a photograph of the incident, and the resources to work with the best lawyers in the world. Swift reminds viewers that most victims are not in this position. And, no matter what, sexual assault trials are draining and taxing on anyone.

Taylor Swift Puts Ice in Her White Wine

During a scene in which Swift enjoys a home-cooked dinner in her Nashville place with childhood friend Abigail Anderson Lucier, the pair enjoy glasses of white wine WITH ICE.

Hi, I'm Taylor, and I'm a freshman at Tulane! I'm from Long Island, NY and I love fashion, food, and music.
Her Campus Tulane