Why The Beatles’ 50th Anniversary Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Friday, February 7th will be the 50th anniversary of The Beatles coming to America and creating a phenomenon that no one could have predicted.

If you know me, you know that I will be celebrating the entire day and night. There is nothing I love in this world more than The Beatles. Seriously. Though John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr are from a completely different generation, I talk about the four “lads” like they are members of my family. Beatles biographies line my bookshelves at my apartment here in New Orleans and at my house just 45 minutes away. Pictures and posters of the Fab Four are among some of my most prized possessions. I attended The Fest for Beatles Fans this past summer in Chicago. I almost screamed profanities at my ex-co-worker for throwing away my John Lennon book while claiming that he was a phony. I can remember sobbing my eyes out in the 4th grade when George Harrison passed away from cancer, but it was also the same year I got to see Paul McCartney in concert.

How is someone that obsessed with a band that made music 50 years ago and broke up more than 40 years ago? Honestly, I’m not the only one. In fact, I can’t think of anything in the world that has ever brought people closer together than the music of The Beatles. As ludicrous as it sounds, these four men from Liverpool touched individual lives and changed the world. Their legacy has stood the test of time. 50 years later, The Beatles still matter.

The Fab Four started what is known today as the British Invasion: an influx of musicians coming from Britain and bringing their music to America. John, Paul, George and Ringo paved the way for a slew of British acts such as The Who, The Kinks, The Animals, The Dave Clark Five, Donovan, and The Rolling Stones. Though The Beatles came to epitomize the era of rock and roll, they were highly influenced by black artists from the U.S. such as Fats Domino, Little Richard and Smokey Robinson. In fact, because The Beatles covered many of their songs and were influenced by them, the band reintroduced America to talented artists who were overlooked and underplayed merely due to their race.

The Beatles began the phenomenon that’s known as a fandom. You think people are obsessed with bands and celebrities now? Google “Beatlemania,” and you’ll be shocked by some of the lengths fans went to (such as asking for locks of hair and fingernails and toenails). Though Elvis was extremely popular in his heyday, he’s got nothing on the Fab Four. Girls would write posters saying, “The King is Dead. Long Live The Beatles.” Sorry One Direction, but The Beatles originated the cute, talented band of British boys.

As I am sure many people know, The Beatles truly tested the boundaries of music like no one had ever done before (and no one has done since). On the track “I Feel Fine,” John Lennon was the first person to introduce feedback on a popular rock and roll song, influencing heavy guitar acts such as Jimi Hendrix and The Who (listen to the beginning of the song—that’s feedback, in case you didn’t know!). The Beatles were also the first to use reverse tape loops on songs like “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Rain” and “Tomorrow Never Knows.” Many musicians today put out concept albums, which are albums that have an overall theme. Who was the first to truly make it known to the public? You guessed it. The Beatles debatably started their first concept album with Rubber Soul, but Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band solidified the meaning. The album was also truly the first to speak to a generation. Because of George Harrison’s interests in Eastern religion and music, he introduced the sitar to popular music (see “Norwegian Wood”) as well as philosophies from the other side of the world.

Most importantly, as cliché as it sounds, The Beatles were all about love. John, Paul, George and Ringo were the first to truly incorporate political and social messages into their music. “Revolution” and other, later classics from John Lennon such as “Give Peace a Chance” and “Imagine” rallied everyone together in the fight against the Vietnam War and inequality. Songs like “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “I Saw Her Standing There” were early, feel-good tunes that just made people happy. The Beatles, through songs like “All You Need is Love” and “Hey Jude,” got people from all around the world singing together in harmony. George was the very first person to host a benefit concert, The Concert for Bangladesh, while Paul still to this day gives a good portion of his ticket sales to numerous charities. Not only was their music full of light and goodness but so were John, Paul, George and Ringo. 

Though half of the band has passed away, The Beatles can still speak to us through their music. And even though the world is still at war with itself, The Beatles have truly paved a path to peace and love. Now all we have to do is follow it. 

A senior majoring in Film Studies at Tulane University who is obsessed with film, television and pop culture.
Her Campus Tulane