What To Do When Your Parents Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Parents weekend (noun): A time in which students get to go grocery shopping, take selfies with their parents, hide the wine from their rooms, and eat expensive dinners that they wouldn’t normally be able to afford. The ~fomo~ is real as I look at all the Instagrams and pictures of people with their parents. 

Fortunately, my roommate’s parents came down so I got to have quite a few meals with her. Unfortunately, we waited until last minute to make reservations and at that point most places were already booked. After drooling over Instagrams, stalking Facebook, and seeing unlimited snapchats, I made a “must do” list for students over parents weekend.

First, where to eat:

• Domenica: We all know you’ve missed Italian food. We can’t afford to get a $25 pizza, but our parents sure can. Go to Domenica for their delicious pizza and the cauliflower.
  • Cochon: Cochon is one of my favorite restaurants and each dish has more flavor than the next. I recommend the mac and cheese, the lemonade, and the roasted gulf shrimp small plate.
  • Restaurant R’evolution: R’evolution is super delicious and super expensive and a must go when parents are in town. I recommend the crab beignets, gumbo, and any entrée.
  • Restaurant August: Restaurant August is super delicious and ~classy~ and your parents will love the atmosphere and delicious seafood.
  • Commander’s Palace: Commander’s Palace is a classic and definitely not your casual Brunch place. Whether you go for brunch or dinner, you and your parents will be sure to have a delicious meal and feel like royalty.
  • Any of Emeril’s Restaurants: Enough said.

Second, what else to do?

• Go to Whole Foods! Get those groceries you’ve been needing to get.
  • Take them to the football game or FAQ. Last year my parents were blown away by how much Tulane has to offer, and your parents will be too.
  • Introduce them to your friends. Parents love to know you’re having a great time, and love to meet those friends you’ve been raving about.
  • Go on a tour of New Orleans. Whether it’s a swamp tour, a ghost tour, or a culinary tour, New Orleans has so much to offer and take the opportunity to go adventure!

Third, have a great time!

• Although we’re awesome ~independent~ students, we only get to see our parents for a few days so make sure to have a great time with them and show them how much fun you’re having!
Her Campus Tulane