What To Do in NOLA When Your Mom Comes To Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

What To Do in NOLA When Your Mom Comes to Visit

Anyone who knows and enjoys the freedoms that come with going away to college also know that homesickness is a real thing. While school, fun, and friends are amazing sometimes nothing beats spending some quality time with your family. Especially for me, nothing beats spending some quality time with my mom. She is one of my favorite people in the world and this weekend she is finally making the treck from NJ to NOLA to come and visit her favorite daughter!!!! (Don’t tell my sisters I said that). She is only here for a couple of days but to ensure that we have the best time ever I have come up with a list of fun things to do while she is here because as we all know there is alwayssomething fun to do in New Orleans.

1. Eat

Hi mom nice to see you! Hurry up and put your bags down so we can make it to the 4 brunch places I have planned for today. Nola is a dream for any foodie and lets be honest the best bonding happens over eggs benedict. Take your mom out to your favorite places near campus or around the town! Take advantedge of either her rental car or her appetitie for adventure and try a new restaurant. My mom and I’s personal favorites are Mais Arepas, lebanon cafe, and satsuma on maple too name a few. Every good family outing starts with a full stomach, trust me. 

2. Give her a tour

Show your mom your dorm room! Show her campus, your classrooms, your friends, etc. Yes she moved you in, and you’ve explained to her countless times over the phone where you were going and who you were hanging out with but it’s not the same as really walking her through your daily life. I know she would love it and it’s fun to merge those two apects of your life and give her a taste of what your schedule really looks like. (That way when you tell her you’re going to the boot store she will actually know what you’re talking about and not think you’re talking about getting a new pair of shoes. True story.)

3. Run/Exercise

So maybe exercise isnt your thing but your mom is only here for a couple of days and you guys have a lot to catch up on. What better than going for a run through Audubun park and getting some good ole’ exercise in. Ok I will admit this one is a little specific to me since I am training for a half marathon but forcing your mom to come run with you is only an additional perk as she will keep you distracted from the heat :)

4. Explore/Learn

We live in such an amazing city full of culture, music and art, why not check out some of the local attractions! Take the street car to Lee Circle and walk around the area. Check out the National WWII Museum, the Odgen Museum of Southern Art , or head down to the french quarter and check out some of the local artists and gallerys that flood the streets. 

5. Eat

I mean you can’t live off of only brunch! Eat eat eat eat. Get that food in your belly. Go to a fancy restaurant you wouldn’t normally think about going to! Try something new or keep it classic with a new orleans favorite like Domenica, Dat Dog, or some of my personal favorites St. Roche Market or Magasin

6. Snuggle

Take advantedge of her presense and hotel bed. Watch movies and talk! Catch up on whats going on with her, your siblings, your dad, anything and everything. Even though you are a ~fancy college semi-adult~ she’s still your mom and you are defeinitly still a kid at heart. So enjoy the cuddles and remember how much you’ll miss her when she’s gone. You only have one mom so snuggle away!

Her Campus Tulane