Ways not to have a Panic Attack in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As a college freshman still adjusting to the ever-so-intimidating collegiate lifestyle that all wee lil’ high schoolers dream of, I can safely say that it is, in fact, not as easy to stay calm, cool, and collected all the time.  People always imagine college as a non-stop party with tons of friends, constant fun, a just little bit of work thrown in here and there.  In reality, however, there is much more to think about than what people might picture on the surface.  After moving away from home for the first time and being required to start “adult-ing,” so-to-speak, I realized that college is packed with many more experiences than I had originally considered.  For example, I need to think about my social life, academic work, extracurricular activities, family back home in Los Angeles, and just remembering how to get from the Caroline Richardson Building to Tilton Hall in under 15 minutes flat.

To be clear, here, I am an incredibly stressed out person all the time, as many others, I’m sure, can relate to.  It takes a lot for me to calm down and am quick to worry about even the most trivial things like a hang nail or a missing washcloth.  So, I’ve come up with a few ways to *stay calm*, even through the hardest times:

1. Take a flippin’ nap! Those things are so helpful, don’t take a little bit of daytime sleep for granted.

2. Stay in touch with your close friends and family.  The people from home care about you, even if you have a hard time remembering that.  Since I’ve been at college, my sisters and parents have been my rocks.  It might sound lame to talk on the phone with your mom a lot, but, trust me, it is super helpful in times of crisis.

3. Be honest when you’re struggling.  Tell those around you when you need some help and I can assure you that you will receive what you need to get back on track.  Just be real with yourself, get into a super zen state, and tell the truuuuth, my friends!

4. Don’t be afraid to cry.  A few tears are useful, and don’t think you’re too strong for that ish, because you ain’t!  Let it out, sister friend, don’t be afraid to let your emotions flow.

Just make sure you don’t forget that people care about you and you is ~loved~!  Staying calm can be hard but know that you can get through it, just like me or any of your fellow college-going ladies.

Jenna Karic

Tulane '20

Jenna is a junior at Tulane University studying Political Economy and International Development. In her spare time, she loves to break it down on the dance floor (no shame, ladies!), eat exhorbitant amounts of sushi, and write basically anything and everything. When she doesn't have her head in a book or a plate of mac n' cheese, you can probably find her trying to pet small animals or trying to strike up a debate #college.
Her Campus Tulane