This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I was never big on reading books. I figured, if I can watch it, then why read it? Until recently. If you’re like me and have spent the majority of this past year addicted to Netflix and streaming services, you’re probably becoming a little bored as the options of shows and movies to watch are dwindling. I decided one day that enough was enough and I couldn’t look at my computer screen for another second. I then decided to go on my phone, not a good replacement I know, but I saw an influencer that I follow posting about this amazing new book she read. I then got my keys and drove to my local bookstore to get it. The first book I read when I decided to get back into reading was American Royals, by Katharine McGee.

For someone who loves TV and anything with gossip, this was the perfect book. American Royals is the perfect mix between Gossip Girl and the Royal Family. The book is all about what it would be like if America had a royal family. There is drama, love, betrayal, and everything that my favorite TV shows have. There are so many books out there and there really is something for everyone, even the most niche categories. 

Something that I love about reading is that I can envision the entire book how I want to. Obviously, the author describes the characters, but in my own head, I can think of how I want the characters and the settings to look. It is like making a TV or movie just how I want it to look. Sometimes when watching something I think to myself that I think a different actor could be better at that role, or something about the actors’ fashion choices. 

Person holding coffee and book
Photo by Nathan Dumlao from Unsplash

I always thought of reading as a chore and something that needed to be done for school and school only. Now, reading has become fun, rather than having a negative connotation with it. I also think that reading has had a positive impact on my mood. In the mornings, I’m not as groggy after staying up late watching too many episodes of the newest show. I’m not as tired, because I’m not staring at my computer for really long periods of time. I’m not saying everyone will have the same reaction that I did to reading, but it was a change that I really needed and has affected me in many positive ways.

Carlie Littman Roslyn, NY Junior
Her Campus Tulane