Tulane Needs a Green Wave of Avocados

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Avocados are a majestic super food. They are creamy and fresh and can bring your mood from a 5 to a 10. Not only do they taste delicious, but they are also extraordinarily versatile as well as beneficial to one’s health.  Unfortunately, Tulane’s dining hall, Bruff Commons, lacks the exquisite avocado. Bruff really should adopt the avocado for students to enjoy on an everyday basis.

To begin, avocados have many health benefits. They can lower cholesterol, help one to maintain good vison, and contain 20% of the recommended daily intake of folate. Avocados contain more potassium than a banana, as well as contain a significant amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin K. Avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fatty acids (the good kind of fat if you don’t eat too much). Overall, studies show that people who eat avocados tend to be healthier. 

Avocados are extremely versatile. They can be eaten plain, on chips, in a sandwich, on a taco, in a salad…the list goes on. Bruff is actually a perfect environment for avocados. It has a wrap bar, a sandwich bar, a salad bar, a taco station, and more. All these categories of food would taste much better with the addition of some avocado. The potato bar contains sour cream. So what? SO WHAT? If we have avocados, students can create fresh, homemade guacamole. Combine the avocado with a little sour cream, pop in some diced tomatoes, sprinkle a little salt, and voila, homemade guacamole. The wrap bar usually contains really delicious chips that would go fabulously with the guacamole. In addition, the salad bar contains cucumbers and other vegetables to dip into the guacamole. Each of these food categories would be enhanced with the addition of an avocado.

Overall, Tulane needs to provide avocados to students by having them readily available at Bruff. Then, students will be able to incorporate the avocado into their diet and experience all of the benefits this magical single-seeded berry offers. They are nutritional, weight loss friendly, heart healthy, and most importantly, they are delectable. This simple addition will go a long way.

Her Campus Tulane