TULA in Perfect Harmony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Don’t go to the TULA a cappella concert on March 15th expecting Pitch Perfect, Glee, or Smash. The girls will be the first to tell you that theirs is “a totally different quality of sound.” They may joke that it’s more angelic and choral than any other group on campus, but the real difference is in their connection. Whether the song is Skyfall or some unknown melody from The Hobbit they’re constantly making eye contact and consciously listening to one another. They truly interact with each other, bobbing in unity to the beat. Watching the TULA girls make their way around a song is like watching the repair of a clock. Each piece clicks into its perfect place until the room vibrates with sound. It is amazing how well the group is able to blend, as the soloists’ tones are rich and completely unique. The success come from their audition process that actively looks for more than great singers: the girls have to blend well and work cooperatively. Despite the immense talent needed for these coveted positions, there are no prima donnas in the group. TULA runs as a forum and each girl has the chance to voice her opinion. Their process is organic and allows for unique creative expression, such as the air guitar appearance in their last concert. The fact that the members are all females creates such an open environment, as one member said, “We can bond over basically anything. We don’t have to censor ourselves.” 

Of course, they are not the only a Capella group on campus. Since their founding in 2009 TULA has felt the pressure of being the new kid on campus. It is a little more difficult for TULA than for the other groups because THEM and Green Envy already have a following. They have to vie for concert space and audience members. But that doesn’t stop these ladies, they continue to sing and even have concerts in collaboration with the other groups. 

So on March 15th at 8 o’clock, come expecting Britney Spears or anything else with a pop culture reference. Look for the moments when it just “clicks” and the lasting friendships. Because, as TULA will happily explain, “that’s what it’s all about.”

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.