Top 5 Spots Near Campus for a Midterm Study-Break Snack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s that time of the year. No more syllabus week, mindlessly sitting through class, or slacking off on homework assignments. It’s midterm season, and when all of your tests, papers, and projects are crammed into the one busy week around fall break, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed and stressed. One of the most valuable lessons I took away from having an extremely rigorous course load in high school is that one of the best ways to be successful during an exam period is to take breaks between study sessions. The brain can only process so much information at once, and will be much better at recalling information if it is given a rest every once in a while. Not only that, but your mental health needs the break too. Doing well in school is important, but it’s especially important that you practice self-care during these stressful times. One of the best ways to take a break is to treat yourself with a delicious snack in between studying, and even just getting off campus for a few minutes will help revive your cognitive stamina. I picked out my top 5 favorite spots to grab a quick snack in between studying, all either within walking distance or a short car ride away from campus. Give your brain a break and reward yourself for all that studying!!

1. Creole Creamery

Known for their decadent sundaes and wildly unique flavors, Creole Creamery delivers consistent homemade ice cream every time. Stop in and try flavors like “Lavender Honey” and “Black Chai” to mix it up from the typical (but still delicious) Cookie Dough or Mint Chocolate Chip. Only 1.6 miles from campus, a short car ride or a long, relaxed walk as a study break, Creole Creamery is the perfect destination for a quick sugar-fix. 

2. Humble Bagel

Any time you are in need of a solid breakfast or lunch (especially before an afternoon midterm), take a stroll down Freret to get your Humble Bagel. Their bagels are always freshly made and delicious, offering many spread options as well as bagel sandwiches with toppings such as eggs, cheese, bacon, avocado, tomato, and more. One of these sandwiches will hold you over throughout several hours of your exam studying or test-taking! Humble Bagel is a 1.0 mile (2o min) walk from campus, so it is a super convenient spot to grab a yummy breakfast or lunch.

3. The Daily Beet

While the Daily Beet is a little bit further from campus (around 2.5 miles), it is worth the quick car ride because not only is the food healthy delicious, but it also has a relaxing and aesthetically-pleasing atmosphere, making it a great place to study! Getting a change of scenery will make studying easier to get through, and the Daily Beet offers tons of healthy options including avocado toast, smoothie bowls, salads and juice bar. Fuel your body with the nutrients it needs and get your study on!

4. Dat Dog

If you are in the mood to indulge in a “sports game concessions” type of snack, Dat Dog takes hot dogs and fast food to a completely different level. Offering elevated hot dogs with gourmet toppings and even several vegetarian options, Dat Dog provides delicious and flavorful hot dog dishes. Either order one of the gourmet dogs off the menu or create your own! Their seasoned fries are delicious too, and the perfect way to reward yourself after a long day of studying. Its colorful and cheery outdoor seating area can’t help but make you smile. Also just a short walk down Freret, Dat Dog is only 0.7 miles away from campus! 

5. Plum Street Snowballs

Offering tons of unusual and interesting flavors, Plum Street Snowballs is a must-try on a hot day to satisfy your sweet tooth after a long day of studying. They say that their snowballs are a part of “authentic NOLA culture”, made from a real snow machine. Located only 0.5 miles away from campus, Plum Street Snowballs is a brief walk away and a perfect break from cramming for your midterm when you need a sweet treat!

I'm Izzy from Washington, D.C., studying Communications in the class of '23!
Her Campus Tulane