This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Every restaurant has its own twist on the king cake. Uptown mansions are sporting the flags of their favorite krewes. The earliest parades are starting to roll through. You know what this means…Mardi Gras is coming! It’s easy to get swept up in the annual scramble to buy new clothes and gear at the last minute, which can get very expensive. I’m here to help you make this Mardi Gras a little easier on the wallet while still indulging in the fun of the holiday. Here are my picks on what to buy cheap and what to spend a little extra on.

Splurge: One or two outfits that you absolutely LOVE

Mardi Gras is the perfect excuse to experiment with styles that you normally wouldn’t wear. If you’re going to spend $40 on a cheetah print catsuit, now is the time! Even though you probably won’t wear these clothes again, you can always sell them online or trade with a friend next year.

Save: All of your other outfits

Fact: no one will remember your outfits except for you. It’s great to buy clothes that make you feel good, but I personally don’t think it’s worth it to buy five expensive new outfits that you won’t wear enough to justify the price tag.

Splurge: A good fanny pack

A big fanny pack is a must for Mardi Gras. You’ll be prepared for any emergency that hits mid-parade, from a growling stomach to a killer headache. Your friends will thank you.

Save: Shoes

Mardi Gras entails a LOT of walking, so you’re going to want to be comfortable. Instead of buying wacky new shoes that you won’t have the chance to break in beforehand, stick with your trusty gym shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Your feet probably won’t make it into pictures anyways!

Save: A huge grocery haul

A big urban myth that I fell for is that every business is closed the entire weekend leading up to Mardi Gras day. This scared me enough to buy a full cart worth of frozen meals and hearty snacks to get me through the whole week. In reality, restaurants were only really closed on Tuesday. This year, I’m planning to limit my pre-Mardi Gras grocery trip to portable snacks for long parades.

Have a great and safe Mardi Gras, and laissez les bons temps rouler!

Hi! My name is Rachel Topolski, and I'm a junior at Tulane from Illinois. I'm majoring in management and minoring in social entrepreneurship. I'm so excited to spend my year writing for Her Campus.
Her Campus Tulane