Wellness

Six Essential Staples for the College Student’s Kitchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.
Whether you’re in a dorm room or apartment, having some staples in your pantry helps when you’re in a pinch on time (or ideas). Check out this list of six essential kitchen staples that every college student should have! 
  1. Cold Brew Coffee
    • Imagine this: you’re in a rush early in the morning. You can’t even wait on your Keurig to brew some coffee, much less wait in a Starbucks drive-thru line! Just whip out some Vanilla Cold Brew. You don’t even have to waste time pouring in creamer! Get your caffeine fix in the speediest way possible.
  2. Dried Fruit
    • I’ll admit, sometimes I forget I even bought fresh fruit the week before and it ends up going to waste sitting in my fridge! But I still get plenty of nutrients by snacking on dried fruit like apricots. They can last in your pantry for weeks and provide the same energy you get from fresh produce.
  3. White Wine (if you’re of age)
    • Whether you use white wine for drinking or for cooking, it’s an absolute staple in my fridge. I use Sauvignon Blanc for cooking, and often as a substitute for broth. Sometimes I’ll whip it out to drink when I have a girl’s night with my friends which is more versatile than your typical rosé!
  4. Plain Greek Yogurt
    • Whether the foundation for an amazing smoothie bowl or a cooking substitute for sour cream or cream cheese, plain Greek yogurt is something I always grab while at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods.
  5. Almond Milk
    • Use almond milk for oatmeal, coffee creamer, and as a base for your cereals. It’s healthy and (if you get the flavored version) tasty!
  6. KIND Breakfast Bars
    • Some breakfast is better than no breakfast. KIND bars get the job done! I like the peanut butter ones since they are packed with protein.

What are your must-have items in the kitchen? Hopefully, These Suggestions will be added to Your Grocery list this week. Happy Shopping!

Hannah Ellis

Tulane '22

Tulane Senior majoring in Latin American Studies and Finance.