This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

You know the account, the one we’ve all frantically searched in hopes that the cute guy or girl that smiled at you outside the Commons felt the connection too. 

Tulane Missed Connections is an Instagram account in which Tulane students send in descriptions of people they’ve seen that they find attractive or someone they wish they built up the courage to talk to when they had the chance. Unfortunately, shooting your shot in college is not as easy as they make it appear in movies. You do not always bump into a cute guy in class who asks you to grab coffee nor do you meet the frat boy at a party who is willing to be different for you. Instead, you have to build up courage and approach people yourself, as you never know when you might have the opportunity to do so again, which is exactly why Missed Connections is here to help you. 

While you may not have been able to catch that person’s name, by sending them a direct message with a small description of the person you saw and when or how you saw them, the account will post a screenshot without your name included. Then, people will comment, tagging whoever they believe you are referring to, and then you are one step closer to finding that person and being able to shoot your shot. 

young woman holding phone on couch
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Missed Connections will often also post funny DMs that they receive, such as ones of people longing for the PJ’s to reopen in the library, Howie T. You can even find some inspiring posts on there with people wishing others good luck on midterms or checking in to see how everyone is doing amid this COVID semester. 

While it may seem like a long shot being able to find that cutie you met in the common room or the girl that you had a brief convo with while waiting for your Panera order, following the account is absolutely worth your time. And who knows, maybe you can be Missed Connections newest success story or you’ll just simply get a laugh out of some of their posts. 

Tulane '23, Majoring in Communications & Sociology