kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Secrets to Summer Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The warm weather is right around the corner and there’s no better time to start primping your skin for that summer glow.  Here are some little cheats for radiating skin that you’ll be proud to show off.

Eat Well

A healthy diet is an extremely important aspect when it comes to beautiful skin.  Of course fruits and vegetables are essential to good skin and an overall healthy appearance, but there are certain foods that have more benefit than others.  Nuts, especially almonds, contain vitamin E and fatty acids that help revitalize dull skin.  Green tea is also an important drink to sip on because it contains an anti-inflammatory agent that keeps skin looking fresh.  Fruits containing antioxidants such as blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries help to firm skin, repair sun damage, and are also anti-inflammatory.  Finally, food rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, help to moisturize dry patches and increase collagen and elastin production.

Drink Water

Water is so important when it comes to healthy skin.  It hydrates the skin and flushes out toxins.  If you’re spending the day at the beach or a long day in the sun make sure you bring a water bottle to keep hydrated all day.

Don’t Strees

This may seem impossible in college, but you’re more prone to breakouts when you’re stressed.  Stay organized and try yoga or deep breathing to relax.  

Get Sleep 

You’re body repairs itself when you’re in slumber, so beauty rest is important when it comes to fixing skin.  Hormones will balance and you’ll wake up with a fresh, dewy glow.

Don’t Smoke

Smoking is horrible for your skin and can cause a lot of damage.  It destroys the collagen and elastin fibers, making you more prone to wrinkles.  It also impairs circulation, causing your skin to appear yellow or gray and form broken blood vessels.

Wear Sunscreen

I can’t emphasize this one enough.  We all want that summer tan, but skin cancer is just not worth it.  Even if you tan and don’t burn, it’s still important to wear sunscreen because the sun is still damaging the skin even if it doesn’t look like it is.  Make sure to reapply every hour and after swimming or a lot of sweating.  It’s possible to get color with sunscreen on, so don’t worry, you’ll still have a sun-kissed glow.  Your skin will thank you many years down the road when you have few wrinkles and age spots.

Asia Bradlee is a senior studying Public Health and English at Tulane University. She grew up in Boston, MA and has a passion for health and wellness writing. Asia has experience at Boston Magazine as the digital health intern and maintains her own wellness blog, Healthy, Hungry, Happy. 
JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.