Red (Taylor’s Version) The Breakdown and Listening Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In 2012, Taylor Swift transformed the color red into a feeling, a song, and even an album that changed the course of her music career by experimenting with the pop and country genres, collaborating with different artists, and presenting herself as a young adult artist. As a devout “Swiftie” eagerly awaiting the rerelease of Taylor Swift’s first six albums, I’ve been listening to Red (Taylor’s Version) nonstop since its release this past Friday (to the point of staying up until 2:00 AM and waking up late to my 8:00 Calc class). The over two-hour-long album can be daunting to listen to in one sitting. In case you are struggling with where to start with this monster album, here is my guide to listening to Red (Taylor’s Version). Be sure to click the headers to go to the pre-made Spotify playlist to hear them for yourself!

From The Vault

• Better Man
  • Nothing New (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
  • Babe
  • Message In A Bottle
  • I Bet You Think About Me (feat. Chris Stapleton)
  • Forever Winter
  • Run (feat. Ed Sheeran
  • The Very First Night
  • All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

These 9 songs from Red are a must listen to as they never appeared on the original album. Although Swift has performed some songs of these songs before, hearing the tracks with the rest of the album brings new meaning to the songs. Though Taylor gave up her song “Babe” to the country band Sugarland who did popularize the song Swift’s vocals on the track bring a new viewpoint to the familiar tune as the song fits perfectly into the Red album. 

Moreover, Swift’s heart-wrenching 10-minute version of “All Too Well” conveys Swift’s originally intended length and lyrics of the song and tells the complete story of heartbreak. As the focus of the rerelease of Red has been placed on marketing “All Too Well” as her main single, we see Swift get the credit and recognition for this beautiful song that some listeners neglected when Red was first released. To complement Swift’s storytelling, watching “All Too Well: The Short Film” on YouTube is a must!

For When You’re Red

• Red
  • All Too Well
  • I Almost Do
  • The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody)
  • Sad Beautiful Tragic
  • The Lucky One
  • The Moment I Knew
  • Come Back…Be Here
  • Ronan
  • Better Man
  • Nothing New (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
  • Babe
  • I Bet You Think About Me
  • All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

Heartbreak can be difficult. Luckily, Taylor Swift has gone through her fair share of defeat. It’s no secret that these tunes are for white corded earbuds, a pumpkin spice latte, and a box of tissues, so instead of holding back the tears, embrace them!

For the Lovers

• State of Grace
  • Treacherous
  • Stay Stay Stay
  • Holy Ground
  • Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran)
  • Starlight
  • Begin Again
  • State of Grace (Acoustic Version)
  • Message in a Bottle
  • Forever Winter
  • Run (feat. Ed Sheeran)
  • The Very First Night

Looking to relive that first sight glance feeling? It’s no secret the love ballads above were meant for those long car rides with your boo. Swift and I can agree that you should never be sorry for being happy and in love, so enjoy it. <3

For When You’re Feeling 22

• State Of Grace
  • Red
  • I Knew You Were Trouble
  • 22
  • We Are Never Getting Back Together
  • Stay Stay Stay
  • Holy Ground
  • The Lucky One
  • Girl At Home
  • Better Man
  • Babe
  • All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

Girl’s night isn’t complete without a few Swift bangers. Here are a few sing-along suggestions to add to your pregame playlist to get you in the mood for the night ahead. These picks are also my favorite upbeat and core songs of Red (Taylor’s Version).

Final Thoughts

Red (Taylor’s Version) is a must listen to. If you have the time to listen to the whole album in one sitting, Swift perfectly creates a scene of back and forth between a love and hate relationship throughout the album, something I needed in my life right now. ;)

Campbell Ray

Tulane '25

Campbell is a freshman at Tulane University interested in studying Business and Political Economy. When not in class, Campbell loves running, rock climbing, and singing Taylor Swift!