Real-Life Women Who Prove That “Girl-Power” Is Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

On March 8th, millions of women around the world joined together to celebrate International Women’s Day. Through Facebook, Buzzfeed, and Instagram, we celebrated the achievements of our fellow females, and in spirit of the day, we decided to share some ladies who have brought “girl power” to the next level.

1. Danielle Wiesberg and Carly Zakin: Founders of theSkimm

These two friends founded the beloved daily newsletter theSkimm soon after graduating college. Their idea to make news more relatable and entertaining has simply gone viral, as they provide thousands of women (and men) each morning with the latest headlines.

2. Wendy Kopp: CEO and Founder of Teach For America

As a senior in college, Wendy Kopp proposed the idea for Teach For America as her senior thesis. After college, she pursued the creation of her organization, which helps to educate over 750,000 students each year. 

3. Alexia Brue and Melisse Gelula: Founders of Well + Good

In 2012, the two colleagues founded the health and wellness website, Well+Good. With the mission to make a healthy lifestyle easy and affordable for women across America, their company covers the latest wellness trends in major cities including New York and Los Angeles.

4. Arianna Huffington: Co-founder and Editor of Chief of The Huffington Post

In 2005, Arianna Huffington created The Huffington Post, which was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting only 7 years later. To date, the publication remains one of the most popular, widely read, and informative sources of online news.

5. Stephanie Kaplan, Windsor Hangar, Annie Wang: Founders of Her Campus

The three founders of Her Campus developed the idea for the student publication as undergraduates at Harvard, and launched the site in September 2009. They have been recognized as three powerful female entrepreneurs of this millennium, and named BusinessWeek’s 25 Under 25 Best Entrepreneurs, and Inc. Magazine’s 30 Under 30 Coolest Young Entrepreneurs. 

Her Campus Tulane