This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

New Orleans has the reputation of having a celebration for nearly every day of the year, an idea most college students living here are thrilled to discover. However, if you are like me, the idea of partying is unappealing, as it will most likely consist of hugging the wall and attempting to make awkward conversation with the stranger you met 2 minutes ago. I would much rather be in my own bed, listening to music or binging the newest TV show while scrolling through random apps on my phone. But then I experience the FOMO of missing out on college life when I see my Instagram feed filled with my friends posing in their cute outfits at different parties. Every college student experiences this FOMO in one form or another, but for the wallflowers, it’s much harder to overcome. In my time here at Tulane, I have found some strategies to help wallflowers, like myself, to have fun experiencing the party side of New Orleans without becoming overwhelmed.

Don’t be afraid to try new things

This is what college is all about: stepping outside of your comfort zone and experiencing different aspects of life. While it may not be what you’re used to, I’d suggest attending a party or two on the weekends to see what they are really like. I’d also recommend themed parties to start off with, as they make it easier to start a conversation with someone, whether it is over their outfit or the overall theme.

Parties aren’t the only thing to do in New Orleans

As most people know, there are other things to do in New Orleans than just party, so try them! Starting at your back door, Tulane hosts many different events throughout the year, ranging from movie nights to trivia nights, to glow-in-the-dark dodgeball. These events are fun and unique ways to connect with others through common interests. New Orleans offers a multitude of experiences as well, whether it’s listening to live music or sampling new cuisine with friends.

Find friends that have similar interests

Since you are reading this, I’m assuming you are aware that there are other wallflowers who live in New Orleans. You aren’t alone, and there are others who may want to stay in on a Saturday night and watch a movie. Spend time with people who have similar interests as you and chances are you will find you have more in common with them than you think.

Find time to for your “me time”

This one is pretty self-explanatory: It’s college, and its important you schedule time for self-care. Whether you take that time to study, take a well-deserved nap, or binge-watching your favorite Netflix show, it’s crucial that you take time for yourself before you become too overwhelmed with college life.

STAY SAFE!

Most importantly, no matter what you do, your safety is the most important thing. Enjoy your time in college, but don’t make any decisions you will regret later. Trust me.

Taryn Clarke

Tulane '23

Hey! My name is Taryn, and I am a proud member of the Tulane class of 2023! I love to dance, read, write, and I am huge Disney nerd!
Her Campus Tulane