The People’s Choice Awards: Who Gets Your Vote?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The People’s Choice Awards may not be as lavish or thrilling as the Golden Globes or the Oscars, but we get to decide! Although calling it “the American Idol of award shows” doesn’t make the ceremony sound like a big deal, it’s still exciting to watch our favorite celebrities, movies and TV shows win because of fan support.

With the nominees recently announced and voting ending on December 15th, we’ve only got a month to get in the votes for our favorites. It might be hard to decide who gets your vote if you’re really torn between two shows or two actors, so I’m here to help you out with your voting needs! I could only comment on a few categories due to the sheer size of the People’s Choice Awards, but check them out below!

Favorite Movie Actor:

Channing Tatum, Hugh Jackman, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Downy Jr.

Who Should Win It: Leonardo DiCaprio

While the actors nominated are talented, not to mention good-looking (seriously, what an attractive category!), Leo is by far the best actor. The Great Gatsby wouldn’t have generated as much buzz if Leo hadn’t played the title role, and after watching it, its clear that he and the cinematography are the only good things about the movie. The Academy Awards also don’t seem to like Leo for some bizarre, insane reason, so personally awarding him seems necessary (yes, Leo has never won an Oscar: cue the gasps of shock and horror). Channing is more talented in the looks department, and I couldn’t even remember what Johnny Depp was in this year.

Favorite Network TV Comedy:

2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family

Who Should Win It: Either How I Met Your Mother or Modern Family

Firstly, how is New Girl not nominated for this category?! Almost every girl watches it nowadays, and there are articles about the show all over BuzzFeed and the rest of the Internet. Even more surprising is how Max Greenfield (otherwise known as Schmidt) isn’t nominated in the Favorite Comedic TV Actor category when he’s one of the funniest on network TV! Anyway, moving on: I actually don’t know anyone who watches 2 Broke Girls, and The Big Bang Theory has never been my cup of tea. Anyone who knows me knows I’ve been a devoted Glee fan from the beginning, but the show has gone too far downhill to save. So give your vote to How I Met Your Mother or Modern Family (I’m going with HIMYM since it’s the last season!).

Favorite Comedic TV Actress:

Jane Lynch, Kaley Cuoco, Lea Michele, Melissa McCarthy, Zooey Deschanel

Who Should Win It: Lea Michele

I love New Girl, but I can’t say that Zooey’s “adorkableness” isn’t getting a little tiring to watch. What I could never get sick of is watching and hearing Lea Michele perform: there’s no denying the girl has pipes, and her storyline on Glee is currently the only one worth watching. Lea deserves all the awards this year after going through the tragedy of losing her boyfriend Cory Monteith. She’s proven to be a real inspiration, and I have crowned her my queen. So give my girl crush your vote!

Favorite Streaming Series:

Arrested Development, Between Two Ferns With Zach Galifiankis, House of Cards, Losing It With John Stamos, Orange is the New Black

Who Should Win It: Arrested Development

Get ready to come at me with pitchforks while shouting, “Witch!” because I haven’t seen Orange is the New Black yet, and everyone seems to love it! Although Kevin Spacey is amazing at playing the villain, Arrested Development is too funny not to vote for. Season 4 was lacking a bit, but no one can say they didn’t laugh at GOB continuously feeding himself forget-me-now pills and singing “Getaway” by Mark Cherry, a teenage celebrity who greatly resembled Harry Styles. We also can’t erase from our minds the return of Michael Cera’s moustache. Looking back at the other seasons, it’s understandable why Arrested Development has become a cult classic.

That’s all the advice I’ve got for now! Happy voting!

Sidenote: if Breaking Bad is in a category, don’t even think about it. Just vote for it. 

A senior majoring in Film Studies at Tulane University who is obsessed with film, television and pop culture.
Her Campus Tulane