A Peek Behind the Curtain: Celebrity Documentary Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I have always loved pop culture and watching documentaries, and through this, I found the world of celebrity documentaries. These programs are centered on the life of the celebrity in question, showing a deeper view of their lives in the spotlight. From the tabloids to paparazzi reports, we as an audience learn about celebrities through a combination of truths and lies provided to us on a platter for us to eventually determine their validity for ourselves. Celebrity documentaries highlight new stories about the people we see on screen and hear on the radio, which gives us another perspective on what it means to be living in the spotlight. 

Listed down below are a few of the celebrity documentaries that I highly recommend!

Greta Thunberg – “I Am Greta” 

Greta Thunberg is an 18-year-old environmental activist on a global crusade to convince political figures to care about the environment and climate change. Her documentary highlights her journey as a 15-year-old student creating a global climate change strike that made international news. Her story as a young activist created a film documenting the significance of climate change and empowering young voices. 

Demi Lovato – “Simply Complicated” 

Demi Lovato’s documentary chronicles the ups and downs of her career as a child star coupled with the recording for her sixth studio album, Tell Me You Love Me. She discussed her experience with bipolar disorder, addiction, eating disorders, and other personal struggles. Her brave and honest reflection of growing up in the spotlight was eye-opening.

Beyoncé- “Homecoming: A Film By Beyoncé” 

The critically acclaimed concert film documented Beyoncé’s 2018 performance at the Coachella music festival, which Beyoncé starred in, produced, and directed herself. The film highlights the in-depth and emotional nature behind the performance’s journey from a concept to a growing cultural moment. If anything, I highly recommend watching this film for an incredible digital concert experience.

Britney Spears – “Framing Britney Spears” 

Although Britney Spears rose almost effortlessly as a pop culture icon, the media significantly impacted her public downfall. From the paparazzi and drama-based media sources, her image was distorted and changed her incredible career trajectory. This documentary explores this conversation as Britney battles her father in court over control over her life. 

Since information and media have become complicated subjects recently, learning from new perspectives has become a new interest of mine. Celebrity documentaries allow us, as an audience, to view those in the public eye from an angle provided by the celebrity themself. 

vintage microphone with colorful lights in the background
Photo by Israel Palacio from Unsplash

Hi! My name is Morgan McBride, and I'm a senior at Tulane from New York. I am majoring in communications with minors in management and political science. I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Her Campus Tulane