The Oscars, Best Dressed, and…Harvard’s Nap Room?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.
There is hardly bigger news in the United States than the winners of the Academy Awards, or the more commonly known, Oscars. The Oscars are the biggest award ceremony for filmmakers and actors, not just in America, but around the world. Just in case you missed it, here is a short synopsis of all that you didn’t see on the red carpet and inside Dolby Theater. 

All the stars were out in their Sunday’s best and after only a little criticism it has become clear to most watchers who the best and worst dressed are. Jennifer Lawrence, who later went on to receive that Academy Award for actress in a leading role, had been praised for her Christian Dio Couture gown. Jennifer Lawrence has been nominated now two years in a row, and last night was her first win. Her work in Silver Linings Playbook garnered her this attention and she drew even more notice in such a beautiful outfit. 

Other notable outfits were worn by the duo of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. Ben Affleck’s film Argo won best picture later in the night. Ben wore head-to-toe Gucci and Jen’s violet colored gown was accented by a beautiful diamond necklace designed by Neil Lane. As for other notable winners of the night, Daniel Day Lewis received the Academy Award for actor in a leading role for his work in Lincoln and Anne Hathaway for actress in a supporting position for Le Miserables. 

In other news, that compared to the Oscars seems mildly less important, the Huffington Post published an article this past week on an interesting and creative idea for colleges. The article discussed the institution of a nap room at Harvard. After a petition gained significant support, Harvard administration decided to consider the idea. A sophomore at the school gained support for this unconventional request showing research that proves this is an important idea.

Only 21% of Harvard undergrads found that they got enough sleep each night and for those sleep deprived, the distance from lecture halls to dorm or apartment is sometimes too far for a quick break in between classes. While Harvard’s nap room may not pertain to students at Tulane, it had me wondering whether or not Tulane could benefit from this as well. Though I am not entirely sure how the setup of a nap room would work, the yawns that travel around the classroom each morning are evidence that everyone could use a power nap here and there. This idea is definitely something that not only Harvard could benefit from. 

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.