An Open Letter to Tulane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Dear Tulane,

I owe you a thank you. A really big thank you.

You see, I was a different person until I came here. I never understood what it meant to truly have a place, a city, or a culture become a part of you. I didn’t get how you could actually be proud of the place you live in, and how every time you left, you would feel a little incomplete – like a switch went off in your soul and the world would become just a little less colorful.

So Tulane, thank you. Thank you for teaching me, above all, that life is meant to be celebrated.

For showing me the true meaning of balance – not just between work and play, but how to walk on your sidewalks without falling down every five feet.

For teaching me what patience really is after listening to the United Cabs recording for the 50th time in one night.

For forcing me out of my comfort zone, whether that meant actually trying (and growing to like) spicy food, or sending me halfway across the world to explore foreign countries for four months.

For giving me some of the best meals I ever could have dreamt of, eating until I swore I couldn’t have another bite, and ordering dessert anyway (it goes to a different place, right?).

For providing me with endless concerts and shows to go see, jamming out with my best friends all night – there is no better feeling.

For giving me the opportunity to see my favorite musician perform at Jazz Fest.

For opening up again after Katrina, coming back stronger than ever, and having a positive impact on so many people. I wouldn’t have met my closest friends if it weren’t for that.

For pushing me to embrace the craziness, get to know people, and to open up my heart to the world around me.

For giving me the absolute best of friends, 230 sisters, and a place that I know I can always call home.

For seamlessly integrating yourself with the most incredible, beautiful, crazy city on this planet – I can’t imagine a more perfect place to have gone to college.

When they told me how lucky I was to be going to school in New Orleans, I nodded and agreed, but didn’t get it. When they said this city will change you, I didn’t get it. When they said these would be the best four years of my life, I didn’t get it. But now… I get it. So thank you for taking me in, stirring up the pot of gumbo, and giving me the confidence to go out and enjoy life. I see the world differently because of you.

Don’t miss me too much. I’ll be back soon.

Love you always,

Sam

Her Campus Tulane