One Small Step For Biden, One Giant Leap For America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

When we imagine criminals, we typically imagine people who have committed dangerous crimes, like murder, or non-violent crimes such as fraud or embezzlement. Whether or not you believe that people deserve to serve time and be punished for their actions, having this sentence on your record can majorly impact your life outside of prison. It can create problems when it comes to finding housing, employment, and education which are necessities in today’s society. 

On Thursday, October 6th, President Joe Biden announced that he would pardon Americans convicted of marijuana possession under federal law. While this may not mean a lot to some people, it can open up various doors for people who lacked opportunities due to their conviction. President Joe Biden also asked for the federal classification of marijuana to be changed from its present category to a lower one. Currently, marijuana is listed as a schedule 1 drug, alongside ecstasy and fentanyl. This classification insinuates that marijuana is as dangerous and addictive as fentanyl, and possesses no medicinal qualities. Which, for the record, is completely untrue.    

Pardoning these charges can pave the way for the decriminalization of marijuana. This would also be a game changer for immigration. Something as simple as marijuana possession can be used to justify deportation, so having these charges pardoned can remove barriers on the pathway to obtaining citizenship. The decriminalization of marijuana under the federal government is not too far-fetched given that many states in the country have already decriminalized the drug or have made it legal. While I do not expect America to follow Portugal and make all drugs legal, I think pardoning these charges can open people’s minds to the idea of federal decriminalization. 

President Biden’s announcement is on board with the trend of harm reduction that we have begun to see in many cities, including New York City. Harm reduction is the idea that people with substance use disorders can make small achievable changes while maintaining their safety when they use. This concept focuses on people’s safety rather than inflicting abstinence on them, which can make their road to recovery seem more manageable and realistic. We cannot stop people from abusing drugs simply by making them illegal. We can, however, provide them with proper resources and guidance. By pardoning simple marijuana charges, the journey to decriminalization becomes more feasible. It allows the people who were previously convicted to create lives that aren’t hindered by their past. For people with substance abuse disorders, decriminalization can prevent them from facing punishment for a disease that is detrimental to their self-control. 

Stephanie is a sophomore at Tulane University. She is double majoring in Psychology and Anthropology as well as minoring in Chemistry. When she's not writing you can find her sipping an oat milk latte at Mojo or shopping on Magazine Street!