A Non-Partier’s Perspective at One of America’s Top Party Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s Friday night (btw I’m writing this on a Friday night), and I hear Camilla Cabello belting “Senorita” from my downstairs neighbors. Beer bottles crash outside my window and girls laugh while running through the streets. Meanwhile, I’m snuggled under the covers and crying while watching the latest episode of This is Us.

My mom calls and we end up talking for hours, while the noise of the late-night partiers drowns out. As we talk about nothing and everything, I often wonder about other people living it up at bars downtown or dancing the night away.

It is important to surround yourself with friends that understand your goals. Keeping strong social relationships are just as important as academics. Find and embrace ways to relax in your own way, even if your relaxation methods do not include drinking.

Staying true to your beliefs and goals when transitioning to a new environment makes you a stronger person. Do not feel out of place if you think you won’t fit into a school. Whether you relax from going out or watching Netflix, every college student is different. There is a place for everyone here. College is the time for finding out what works for you and discovering who you want to become. So, celebrate watching Netflix or dancing at a bar with your best friends.

Emily Oh

Tulane '22

Hi, my name is Emily! I am a writer and VP of Marketing/PR for Her Campus Tulane. I love reading, baking vegan treats, and singing along to Taylor Swift.
Her Campus Tulane