This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I’m a very dramatic person by nature, and even that is an understatement. I need at least a week to get over an event and if I am happy, you will know it. That being said, some emotions require a soundtrack to either support your mood or get you through it. While there are too many great playlists out there to recommend, I’ve decided to recommend the best type of music for each mood.

Red text neon light sign
Photo by Mohammad Metri from Unsplash

When you’re feeling: On top of the world

In my opinion, this is the best mood to be in because it feels as if everything is going right. When I feel this way, I tend to listen to more pop music with upbeat lyrics and a catchy tune. It may be basic, but it makes me happy.

When you’re feeling: Confident AF

There’s being on top of the world, and then there is the feeling of owning the world. It’s like you can do no wrong and can basically achieve anything. When I find myself in this mood, I usually turn on anything with a good beat and powerful lyrics- anything that makes me feel ready to dance backup for Beyoncé on her next world tour (post COVID).

When you’re feeling: Upset

You can’t escape it. We are all human and we all get sad and emotional and no matter what it is, a breakup or a difficult life-changing event, we all need to cry. I even have a playlist labeled “Just want to cry” for these situations. I recommend slow songs that feature pianos or grand orchestras, and someone with either a melodic voice to calm you down or a raw voice where you can feel their pain. In my opinion, Adele is the queen of this playlist, because she has a voice that is somehow melodic yet deeply painful.

When you’re feeling: Absolutely zero motivation

Sometimes we want to lie in bed all day binging our favorite show, but we need to get up and move. However, out of all these moods, this one is the hardest one to recommend songs or genres for because everyone is so different. Some people get motivated listening to rap, others to classical music (I have friends that adore classical music). Personally, whenever I need to get motivated to finish a paper or go to the gym or whatever it is, I have to get done, I turn on a mix of 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s hits to motivate me. It is a very odd and eclectic playlist consisting of artists from Pat Benatar to Usher, but it gets me motivated! I suggest finding songs that make you want to move and compile them all into a playlist to keep the momentum going.

brunette woman shot from behind facing a window, wearing headphones listening to music and holding them with her hands
Photo by Burst from Pexels

There are many other emotions that require a musical backtrack- too many to name, in fact- but these are some emotions I experience on a weekly basis and ideas to create playlists that will be there when you need support or something to dance to.

Taryn Clarke

Tulane '23

Hey! My name is Taryn, and I am a proud member of the Tulane class of 2023! I love to dance, read, write, and I am huge Disney nerd!
Her Campus Tulane