Millennials and Migraines: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

*Disclaimer: This article and its survey findings were made possible by Novartis Consumer Health, Inc., the makers of Excedrin® Migraine. Respondents of the survey were diagnosed migraine sufferers. See your doctor for diagnosis of migraines and migraine treatment options.

In a recent survey conducted by the makers of Excedrin® Migraine 85 percent of millennial migraine sufferers surveyed said they are looking for better ways to treat their migraines. Are you one of them? To help start the migraine conversation Her Campus has teamed up with the makers of Excedrin® Migraine to encourage college students to talk about the condition and better understand how to manage or help those you know manage migraines. The Millennial Migraine Report was commissioned by the makers of Excedrin® Migraine to uncover information to shine a light on one of the top 20 most debilitating medical conditions affecting millions of Americans. 

According to the study, seventy-one percent of millennial migraine sufferers surveyed would give up their favorite pair of jeans to never suffer from migraines again. But, we want to help you better manage your migraines so you never have to barter your best fall denim.

We all know New Orleans is below sea level and when humidity rises, migraine pain can for some as well. Tulane students have to be aware of more than just stress and too many hours in front of our laptop screens. Every time rain is imminent, my head starts to feel that added pressure. For migraine sufferers, Excedrin® Migraine is one way to help alleviate this pain, when taken as directed. 

Even with smartphone usage at an all-time high, most migraine sufferers surveyed are not using mobile apps to manage their condition. Maybe you didn’t know there was an app for it, or you weren’t sure it would work…let us prove you wrong! Download the My Migraine Triggers™ app from the makers of Excedrin® Migraine. It’s easy to use, and lets you track when, where and why your migraines occur. You can print a log or even share it with you doctor right from you iPhone! It’s free and available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. 

Also, don’t be afraid to seek out information. The Millennial Migraine Report indicated that only half of millennial migraine sufferers surveyed say they are trying to reduce their stress to better manage their migraines. This needs to change! Almost a quarter of the millennials also indicated migraines impacting their friendships. As collegiettes in a high-stress and high-pressure environment we need to be aware of ways to reduce the impact of migraines. 

• SLEEP: A regular 6 to 8 hours of sleep can be one way to reduce impending migraines if an irregular sleep schedule is a trigger for you. 
  • Exercise: Go for a run in Audubon! Take a yoga class at Riley! Join an intramural team! These are just a few ways to keep yourself healthy and active, as regular exercise can clear your mind and even reduce migraines for some. 

For those of us that suffer from migraines, being told “everybody gets headaches,” “just take some medicine,” and “it’s all in your head,” are the worst things to hear. So let’s keep the conversations going! Let’s talk about what causes migraines and ways to manage them. The makers of Excedrin® Migraine started this campaign and it’s up to us to keep it up! Our generation needs to stop suffering and start learning. Visit Excedrin.com/stories for more stats from the Millennial Migraine Report and more information to manage migraines.