Meet Our Campus Celebrity: Alli Garner, A Huge Presence at Tulane Hillel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

1) Hometown: Boca Raton, Florida
2) Year: Junior
3) Major: Sociology, and a double minor in psychology and Jewish studies

4) How are you involved with Tulane Hillel?
I’m a receptionist, a part of the TJL social committee, and member of the Advisory Board
5) What do you like most about Tulane Hillel?
The fact that it’s so welcoming and for lack of better word, chill. The free tea and printing isn’t bad either.
6) What are some things you would like to see done at Hillel before you graduate?
I would really like to see Hillel utilized by the whole student body. I feel like one of the top things I hear about the building is: “I didn’t know I could go in there because I’m not Jewish.” Hillel is for everyone, regardless of religious affiliation.
7) What is something you don’t think most Tulane students know about the Hillel?
The free programs we offer! Seriously, like Yoga and Krav Maga (an Israeli self-defense system). In addition to all the food we periodically give away.
8) What else are you involved in on campus?
Hillel has pretty much been my main activity since I started as a freshman. Although I don’t identify specifically with any other organizations, I always support my friends in their extracurriculars. I’m going to give some shout-outs to some amazing girls who are kicking ass (can I say that?) in what they do:
1. Chelsea Zesch-one of my amazing roommates who is chairing Relay for Life
2. Erin Mccluskey-Yet another roommmate, that directed the Rocky Horror Picture show last semester
3. Zena Schulman-My dear friend who has been consistently been involved in Israel Advocacy on Tulane’s campus since we were baby freshman, living in Monroe
4. Amy Ballin: Haha, yes she’s also a roommate. Also a member of Hillel Advisory board; she just knows how to get things done
5. Kayla Raff: LAST ROOMMATE, I PROMISE. She is my best friend and I will support her in her everlong quest to eat as much ramen as it takes before her heart goes into cardiac arrest from all the sodium
9) If you were having your last meal ever in New Orleans, where would you go and what would you order? Damn, ok. If you know me, you know I am obsessed with food. As such, I feel like I’ve had this conversation so many times with people and yet I found this question so hard to answer. I’m totally going to break the rules and pick different food from places to make my own meal.
Appetizer: Escargot from Tommy’s Cuisine in the meat packing district. It’s amazingly rich and comes with the most glorious garlic butter you’ve ever tasted
-Salad: “Crack Salad” from Sushi Brothers: My best friend Kayla and I were the first ones to try this beauty. Tuna and avacado in this crazy addictive wasabi dressing, hence its name.
-Main Course: Filet Mignon from Mr. John’s on St. Charles. Amazingly simple, yet perfect. These people know their steaks. P.s. If you’re one of those weirdos that get their steak cooked anywhere above medium, don’t even think about stepping foot into this place, let alone any steak house again.
-Side (hell yeah, I’m getting all of this food…it’s my last meal remember?): THE MAC AND CHEESE FROM FAT HEN. I’M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS FOLKS, SKIP CLASS NOW AND GO GET IT. like actually feel free to print this in all caps. Like actually, THIS MAC AND CHEESE IS LIFE CHANGING.
-Dessert: Bee Sweet cupcakes, Vanilla Squared. I’m a classic girl when it comes to desserts.
10) Where is your favorite place to shop in Nola? C&C boutique, right next to the Walgreens in the Camelia Grille Plaza.
11) Now that Mardi Gras is over, what are you looking most forward to about the rest of the semester?
1. Buku music festival and 2. CRAWFEST
12) What comes to mind when you think of Tulane?
Pride. Just absolute pride for New Orleans, Tulane, and the amazing people I have met here. I would have made the best tour guide ever, except I suck at walking backwards.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.