Greece Santorini Travel Adventure Sunset
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Mamma Mia: The Movie We All Need Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

How many times have you started a movie or TV show recently, only to find yourself turning it off after ten minutes because it was too depressing, too boring, or just not right? Maybe that’s just a me problem, but I’ve been struggling to find TV that engages me lately. Fortunately, I found the perfect movie to watch (and if you’re me, rewatch several times) on any quarantine night.

Enter Mamma Mia, the classic ABBA jukebox musical from 2008. If you’ve never seen this movie before, you’re in store for some great vibes. If you already have, now is an ideal time to break out your bell bottoms and grab the nearest microphone-looking object.

First of all, we have to talk about the setting. Although the Greek island featured in the movie is fictional, it’s the perfect antidote for the sad reality of not being able to travel. If I can’t personally be laying on a beach with bright blue water, watching other people do it is the next best thing (even if it hurts just a little.)

Besides beach vacations, another one of my favorite things is ABBA. I grew up listening to my parents’ ABBA Greatest Hits album in the car, so I personally enjoy singing every word at the top of my lungs. Even if you aren’t familiar with the music, you probably won’t be able to resist getting up and dancing along to Dancing Queen.

Can we also talk about the cast for a minute? Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, and Pierce Brosnan all in one movie? Watching movies with actors you already love is the best because you already know it’s going to be good.

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

At the end of the day, we really need some happy endings right now. Some may call the plot fluffy or campy, but those people are secretly rooting for Sophie to find her dad in the end. It’s a classic feel-good story that low-key makes me want to start a Pinterest board for my future wedding that will hopefully be half as beautiful as Sophie’s. 

If I haven’t sold you yet, the sequel is surprisingly good, which makes for a perfect double-feature movie night. I promise you won’t regret it, except for when all the music is stuck in your head for the next week!

Hi! My name is Rachel Topolski, and I'm a junior at Tulane from Illinois. I'm majoring in management and minoring in social entrepreneurship. I'm so excited to spend my year writing for Her Campus.
Her Campus Tulane