Make Your Coffee Cuter With D.I.Y Mugs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Sometimes we get in a mood where we’re feeling a little crafty, a little artsy, a little…Pinterest-y. Let’s face it. There’s nothing better than sitting on the couch, watching Friends while looking up ways to turn cereal boxes into wall art.

Over break I decided to try a craft that is both easy and entertaining! These mugs are perfect for Big/Little Week, birthday presents, or just making your morning coffee a little less bitter.

These are the happy little mugs I made!

You will need:

1 pack of oil based paint sharpies. I found out that regular sharpies will rub off quickly, but the oil based ones stick for way longer. You can find them pretty easily on Amazon.

2. White ceramic mugs. Again, I got these off Amazon but you can also use old mugs or go to your local thrift store to pick up some nifty ones.

3. Access to an oven. Some dorm buildings have kitchens you can use, or if you live off campus you can use your own! Make sure you also have oven mitts because these babies can get hot!

STEP ONE:

Design away! Choosing how you want to decorate it is the first step, of course. The markers are very easy to use so you can be as creative as you want. Note: the marker comes off easily with rubbing alcohol (nail polish remover does the trick quite nicely) so if you mess up, just grab some paper towel and a bottle to fix your mistake.

STEP TWO: Let the mugs dry for several hours or even overnight. The ink must be dry for it to bake and set properly.

STEP THREE: Set your mugs in the oven and turn the temperature up to 350 degrees. Bake them for 30 minutes. Don’t preheat your oven and then put them in; put them in before turning the oven on so they can heat up slowly. Then wait for them to cool down COMPLETELY before taking them out of the oven. Be careful when removing them.

STEP FOUR: Enjoy! Remember: these mugs are NOT dishwasher safe! Baking the mugs sets the ink and makes them food safe, but putting them in the dishwasher could ruin the design. Just wash them gently with soap and a rag or sponge. The ink is microwave safe (so long as the mug itself is!).

I hope you have fun with this craft and remember to:

Her Campus Tulane