Maintaining a Youthful Complexion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s easy to forget the long-term effects that things like sun, alcohol, and lack of sleep have on your skin, especially because their effects are not immediately visible. It’s worth keeping in mind that being good to your skin now will pay off big time in the future. In order to create life-long skincare habits it’s always best to start young. The key to maintaining a youthful and glowing complexion is by taking protective and preventative measures. Below is an easy-to-follow, step-by-step skincare regimen for young 20-something gals to follow:

1. Cleanser: washing your face with a gentle, foaming cleanser is most suited for younger skin. Try something that’s versatile (can use for washing during the day and at night) and that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals. The “Simple Foaming Cleanser” is a great place to start:

2. Daytime Serum: investing in a serum is always a good idea; they offer a kick of vitamins and healthy acids that increase cell turnover, resulting in a glowy look to skin. Try finding a serum with glycolic, lactic, and salicylic acids in it. Renée Rouleau offers a great “BHA Clarifying Serum” with all three of the aforementioned acids: 

3. Sunscreen: applying a high SPF under your day cream is KEY in maintaining a youthful complexion. Wear at least an SPF of 30 every day to prevent sun damage and spots from occuring down the line. Neutrogena’s UltraSheer Dry Touch Sunscreen never fails to perform:

4. Day cream: moisturizing your face every morning is a good habit to get into, especially considering that one of the main problems that women in their 20s have is dehydrated skin (your skin doesn’t necessarily need to feel dry to be dehydrated). Using a light and hydrating cream is all you need. Garnier Naturals Fresh Essentials 24H Hydrating Day Cream provides all those benefits:

5. Makeup wipes: no matter how lazy you’re feeling it is SO important to wipe and wash your makeup off before you go to sleep. Sleeping in your makeup can induce breakouts and clogged pores (just to name a few). MAC Makeup Wipes get every bit of your makeup off, and are infused with a cleanser as well as vitamin E:

6. Retinol-based night serum: before you apply your night cream, apply a retinol-based serum. Retinol has many anti-aging properties; including, evening out dark spots, plumping the skin, and refining/smoothing skin texture. Philosophy’s “help me” retinol night treatment is an award-winning product known for minimizing large pores and discoloration:

7. Night cream: using a hydrating cream for your face at night is crucial; while you sleep your skin loses even more moisture and hydration than when you’re awake. Origin’s Make a Different Night repair cream replenishes moisture levels while you sleep and locks in moisture:

Remember that if you love your skin it will love you back (by appearing healthy and youthful)! 

Her Campus Tulane