Losing My Tattoo Virginity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I already have nine piercings, including my nose and my navel. I dyed and chopped my hair a lot in high school, but I really like the length and color it is now. I didn’t know any hot guys with motorcycles. So what was I supposed to do when I began to feel ~rebellious~?

Answer: finally get the nerve to go get the tattoo I had been planning for ages.

When I first started thinking about getting a tattoo I talked to all my friends who had them. They all told me the exact same thing: it hurt but it was so worth it. So I began doing some research. I looked up local tattoo shops and found one that was highly reviewed. I went on their website and saw the artist’s work and then emailed him to set up an appointment. Then I made my way over to Sailor’s Cross Tattoo & Gallery (with two friends for backup).

(Sailor’s Cross at 5010 Freret)

I walked in and met the artist, low-key shaking as I shook his hand. We discussed the tattoo and he let me do it in my own handwriting which made it a lot more meaningful for me. I wrote it out and he blew it up on special paper so I could see how it would look and then he transferred it onto my skin to trace. I laid down on the table, gripping my friend’s hand, and he began.

(Bear, my new pal)

My friends kept me distracted pretty well, but I’m not going to lie, it hurt. I chose to get a quote on my ribcage, which (as everyone likes to point out to me) is one of the most painful places to get a tattoo. I couldn’t see what he was doing and I’m pretty sure this isn’t how tattooing works, but it felt like he was cutting into me with an exacto knife. However, Bear was really great about letting me take breaks when I felt like I needed to, and he went as quickly as he could while still doing a great job. The actual tattooing part took about 20 minutes total.

(The finished work!)

After it was done he let me look at in the mirror and squeal with joy. Then he wrapped it up in a bandage and gave me after-care instructions. He told me to wash it 3-4 times a day and rub it with lotion. No swimming for a while and avoid sleeping on my left side if possible. Finally, I was all done.

I’m really pleased with how it came out. It is such a meaningful quote to me and I really liked being able to do it in my own handwriting. A lot of people have expressed their opinions on the tattoo, but what’s really important at the end of the day is how great I feel about it.

(To be honest, I think picking the instagram filter took me longer than picking the tattoo design….)

For those interested, here is the website for Sailor’s Cross Tattoo & Gallery:

http://sailorscross.com/

Her Campus Tulane