Look Good and Feel Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Do you want clear skin, a relaxed mind, a toned body, and tons of energy?

All you have to do is stay hydrated!

Remember when your biology teacher told you that water was the ultimate solution for life? It is also the ultimate solution to all your problems! Research shows that staying hydrated can clear your head, keep your body free of toxins, and increase your productivity.

Dehydration can lead to wrinkles and acne. Drinking water flushes out unwanted toxins and increases blood flow, which leads to gorgeous, glowing skin. Water will also help prevent a high amount of oil production in your skin which can lead to nasty white heads. Hydrating can prevent stress as well, reducing breakouts caused by test anxiety and boyfriend problems.

Hydration will also help with your post-Thanksgiving diet. Water boosts your metabolism and makes you fill up faster. Water also makes a difference at the gym! It can lubricate your joints and prevent muscle cramping so you can work out for longer. In addition, people often mistake dehydration for hunger. Next time you think you need to hit the dining hall remember to drink a glass of water first. If you still feel hungry after that then go for it; fill your plate up with fruits and veggies. They naturally contain water so you will be drinking while you’re eating! And who doesn’t love eating?

Having an imbalance of fluids in your body can impact your state of mind. In one study people who weren’t staying hydrated very well reported feeling angry, depressed, and nervous after working out. Another study showed that people had less headaches and migraines when they drank at least 7 cups of water a day. Water also helps prevent fatigue so you can stop getting dirty looks from your professor when you spend the whole class yawning.

So next time you want to grab a soda or fill up on powerade, try and skip those sugary, caloric drinks and replace them with a big glass of water. You’ll feel better, you’ll look better, and your life will be better!

Her Campus Tulane