This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As election day is fast approaching, tension is at an all time high, especially among millennial voters. Tempers have flared, and conflict after conflict have been painted across the pages of every newspaper and magazine. Regardless of political affiliation, we can all agree that this is one of the most arduous elections in American history. While both Clinton and Trump’s campaigns have been wrought with controversy, both candidates have persevered (for better or for worse) to be left standing less that three weeks away from election day. For many voters, myself included, this proximity has become a constant source of  apprehension and self-reflection. As this election has evolved, so too have I. When I was younger, growing up in rural Pennsylvania, I was ignorant to the world around me. This really didn’t change until I left for college. I can now say with complete certainty that I am opposed to Donald Trump’s platform, potential presidency, and character with every fiber of my being, but 5 years ago that may not have been the case. 

This election has been an incredibly pivotal event in my life, and it has changed the way I view the world and the people in it entirely. Although I have always identified as a democrat, I have become increasingly more liberal as time passes. The town that I few up in was almost entirely devoid of cultural and racial diversity. Out of a graduating class of 287, less than 20 of my peers were black. In truth, the surrounding areas and schools were not much more diverse. The most substantial experience I had with minorities before college were the fleeting interactions I had with people in the inner-city hospital I volunteered at. At this time I considered myself to be very progressive, but truthfully I wasn’t even close. The fact is, I never recognized the issues that didn’t immediately affect my personal life. Sure, I was for pro-choice and in support of the legalization of gay marriage, but I never really thought about the demographics those laws were protecting. In short, I saw policy, not people. I had never heard of intersectionality or systemic oppression. I was blissfully ignorant, locked away in my ivory tower. As I grew older and became more educated, I in turn became a more compassionate human. I learned about the disparities minorities are faced with, I learned about human rights, and I learned about dignity. In time, my ambivalence turned to understanding.

The blatant disregard for decency and respect that Trump has shown during his campaign is inconceivable to me, but years ago I may not have understood the detriment of his presidency. I now understand that this presidential race has become a matter of protecting one’s friends, family, and basic human rights. I know now that choosing not to vote is a vote on the side of the oppressor, and I know that this election has brought out some of the worst in our country’s citizens. I may not have noticed that before, but then I became educated. I have hope in our citizens to make the right choice. Knowledge is power. Educate yourselves and vote!

I like cats, rugby, and the New England Patriots. Tulane University '18
Her Campus Tulane