Jazz Up Your Playlists: A Few New Orleans Based Artists for Consideration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

New Orleans is a city famous for many things, one of which happens to be its music scene. While most of us know the big names like Rebirth Brass Band, Louis Armstrong, and Fats Domino, I would like to shed a little light on the not-so-famous bands and musicians out there who are also killer artists and call New Orleans home.

Hurray for the Riff Raff

This band, led by Alynda Lee Segarra, boasts a mastery of several genres, including indie, folk, and Americana. Hurray for the Riff Raff released their first album in 2007, and ever since they have been gaining more and more recognition throughout the music world, earning features in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Spin. The band’s most notable songs include “The Body Electric,” “Small Town Heroes,” and “St. Roch Blues.” The band frequents popular New Orleans venues, such as One Eyed Jacks, Tipitina’s, and Allways Lounge. I managed to see the band’s final song at the 2016 Jazz and Heritage Festival before the torrential downpour rendered the day cancelled, and I was blown away by their performance. If you like interesting bands that might be a little out of your comfort zone but rich in lyrical content, this is the new band for you!

MyNameIsJohnMichael

This group, obviously led by and named after John Michael Rouchell, possesses an interesting sound of rock with hints of jazz, pop, and indie acoustics. Rouchell was previously a student at Loyola University in New Orleans and gained traction in the music industry by accepting a friend’s challenge to write one new song every week for a year. I strongly recommend “Character Piece,” “Misery Runs,” and “Every Night of the Year” as highlights from the band’s album The People That Come and Go.

Better Than Ezra

Better Than Ezra has held a steady following in New Orleans and the South since the 1990s. The band plays a medley of original alternative rock and pop rock songs, while also maintaining a unique blend of New Orleans jazz and funk sounds. Ezra’s “King of New Orleans” and “WWOZ” represent a tribute to the band’s roots, while my personal favorites include “A Lifetime,” “Desperately Wanting,” and “Good.” Better Than Ezra frequents The House of Blues and The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, so keep an eye out for this group in the future for a good time and some awesome jams.

Benjy Davis Project

Confession: My friends and I wrote a desperate fangirl letter to Benjy Davis Project in an attempt to get them to perform at our high school’s sweet sixteen party. Now that that’s out of the way, I would like to fangirl some more over this band. I have nothing but praise for Benjy Davis Project and their perfect, seemingly effortless folk-rock vibes. The Baton Rouge based band has produced amazing songs like “Sweet Southern Moon,” “I Love You,” and “Good Enough.” This band will give you all the feels with heartfelt lyrics, while leaving you wanting more of Davis’s delicate and raspy vocals.

The Revivalists

Be on the lookout for upcoming tour dates from The Revivalists because they are without a doubt one of the best live bands I have ever seen. The Revivalists came together in 2007 with their upbeat fusion of alt-rock and funk. While locally well-known, the Revivalists have recently gained greater national recognition, as they even performed a concert on NBC’s The Today Show last spring. Major hits include “Criminal,” “Navigate Below,” and “When I’m Able” (MY PERSONAL FAVORITE!!!). If you love seeing live performances as much as I do, check this band out ASAP and go see them live at the Orpheum Theater for their New Years Eve concert event. Even if you have high standards for live shows, trust me because you will not be disappointed.

Andrew Duhon

Last but definitely not least, I would like to reveal my obsession for local singer/songwriter, Andrew Duhon. Thanks to my friend, Tim (shoutout to Tim), I have fallen in love with the honest and simple music of Andrew Duhon. It all began with a mixed CD and the soulful acoustic track “The Moorings.” I instantly wanted to hear more of this guy, and I was not let down. His entire collection of music is incredible, featuring hints of blues, soul, and folk-rock. My dad and I have seen him perform all over the city at Bayou Beer Garden, Jazz and Heritage Festival, Oak Wine Bar, and most recently at Chickie Wah Wah in Mid-City. Whether he’s performing solo or with the trio of himself along with a bassist and percussionist, Duhon is always an amazing experience. Check out my favorites, which include “Evelyn,” “Just Another Beautiful Girl,” and “Sidestep Your Grave.” If you want to see a killer show and/or want to hang out with my dad (and me), go see his next live show in New Orleans at Gasa Gasa on November 21.

It’s definitely not easy to make it big in the music industry, and New Orleans takes pride in its wealth of musical talents, so it’s important to recognize those artists who are less mainstream. If you like live music, download apps like Bandsintown to follow the music scene in whatever city you reside. Local music is often great music just waiting to be discovered and burned onto a mixed CD (thanks Tim!!!!).

Her Campus Tulane