How to Dress For Class In 90º Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

At Tulane University, the weather has yet to cool down— not that it does cool down much throughout the year. However, the heat during the beginning months of school can be brutal, and although our campus is not huge, there can still be some pretty long walks to get from class to class. The worst part? The sweat is real. It is almost impossible to stop yourself from wanting to change your clothes after stepping outside once, or even wanting to take a body shower every time you walk back into your room.

While it is easy to just throw on a tank top and shorts for the day, there is the imminent battle of how chilly the classrooms get. The initial step into the classrooms after being in the sticky humidity is refreshing and welcomed, but when your sweat starts to dry, you go from hot to freezing in a matter of seconds. I always stick a sweatshirt in my bag and throw it on during class, and when there are about three minutes left, I take it off and put it back in my bag. Even if I put it right back on when I walk into my next class, there is no way I could manage wearing a sweatshirt outside in this weather, but it does come in handy while sitting in a frigid classroom for over an hour.

Aside from the constant desire to wear comfy shorts and tees to class, every girl knows the feeling of wanting to dress “cute” during the day, whether it’s to catch someone’s attention or just to dress for success. However, this desire complicates the struggle; no one wants to put on a nice outfit when you know you will inevitably sweat through it. If the clothes are going right into the hamper when you get home after classes, it can feel like a waste of a stylish outfit. The simple solution? Getting some graphic tees and lounge shorts that don’t make you look like you rolled out of bed and still add a touch of effort to your look, but keep you comfortable. The occasional addition of jean shorts or a denim jacket when the temperature drops a little also makes you look fashionable without compromising your comfortableness or your laid back, “chill” vibes.

Despite the fact that it is hard to ignore the sweat dripping down your back or your sunglasses sliding off your nose every four seconds, it’s important to remember that everyone around you feels pretty much the same way. Plus, since everyone can relate, everyone is definitely way too worried about their own sweatiness to notice yours! No one wants to feel sticky and damp, but there is nothing to do about the constant heat that surrounds us on our walks to class except welcome it. Embrace the sweat and let your shininess give you a natural glow!

Jordin Carp

Tulane '21

Tulane student who is obsessed with all things food, fashion, and fun
Her Campus Tulane