burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Deal with Rain in New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I was admitted to Tulane as a Spring Scholar. Basically what that means is that I had to find something else to do during the first semester of freshman year, prior to being able to start at Tulane in the Spring of 2019. Because of this, starting sophomore year was a big change. I had not experienced any of the fall activities, or been immersed in what first semester life would entail. Although I had established friends, clubs that I was a part of, expectations for my classes, and a relative routine on campus, what I didn’t have was an understanding of what August in New Orleans entails. 

My friends all warned me, informing me that the heat and humidity would be awful. They also told me to expect rain most days. Within just a week I already realized that there is a whole foreign set of rules that apply to the extreme heat of this time of year. So I got to thinking and decided that I should make a list of the do’s and don’ts that apply to fall in New Orleans. New Orleans heat is one that is foreign to most students attending Tulane University, and because of this there are new set of rules that must be learned and understood in order for survival here. Here are the 7 best tips that I have discovered insure success and optimal preparedness:

1. Always have an umbrella 

2. If you’re carrying a backpack; make sure its either waterproof, or that your computer case is waterproof 

3. Wear waterproof makeup (if you’re wearing makeup at all)

4. Never do your hair with the expectation of its staying nice

5. Always carry sunglasses 

6. Wear sunscreen to protect your skin 

7. Also, most importantly, ALWAYS HAVE WATER 

Hopefully, these tips are helpful. But also, it’s important to accept that, at some point during the year you will most likely get caught in the rain. The sooner it’s accepted the more prepared you will be!

Isa Zweiback

Tulane '22

My name is Isa and I am from California. I am majoring in Psychology and double minoring in Art History and Management at Tulane. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with friends and family, trying out new foods and restaurants, and shopping. I am passionate about Judaism and dance, and hope to one day attend Law School.
Her Campus Tulane