Have an Über Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you didn’t already know from the profile and cover photo updates, MARDI GRAS IS COMING!! Do you know what is going to make this Mardi Gras even better than previous years?

~ ~ ~ ~ ÜBERRRR

Although the ride-hailing app was around last carnival season, the two ÜberBlack cars that circulated the city seemed like an urban myth and were impossible to use during Mardi Gras. Thankfully with the recent introduction of ÜberX, Über has worked with the City of New Orleans to hammer out a plan for getting around NOLA during Carnival.

Here’s a run down:

1. “The Box”

Über’s term for the parade route area. St. Charles Avenue marks the Northern boundary of “The Box,” Tchoupitoulas Street designates the Southern border and Canal Street and Jefferson Street (between Tchop and Magazine) mark the Eastern and Western outposts respectively.

You can hail a car from “inside the box” or “outside the box”; however, you must know where you want to be dropped –inside or outside—because it is nearly impossible to cross St. Charles and get out of the box once the parades begin. That said, if you’re trying to get “out of the box,” walk a few blocks North of St. Charles; however, if you want to stay “in the box,” and go further down the parade route, walk a few blocks South of St. Charles.

“Inside” destinations include: Lower Garden District, F&Ms, CBD, Tipatina’s

“Outside” destinations include: Tulane, Loyola, Boot/Palms, Snake & Jake’s, French Quarter, Mid-City, Bywater

Map of “The Box” –study the above map to get a better understanding of and where certain destinations lie

2. Surge Pricing

When cars are in high demand, Über uses an algorithm to increase the cost of each ride. There is no “cap” on surge pricing in NOLA, but you should receive a notification for when the heightened prices are in effect. To avoid these charges, Über recommends arriving at the parade route early and leaving the festivities late. If you’re worried about these charges, use the app’s “fare estimator” to see how much the bill will be.

Example of how a surge pricing notification may look

**PRO-TIP: Split your fare with friends on the app to avoid expensive bills. ÜberXs can hold up to four people and ÜberBlacks can hold up to six –don’t overload the cars!!

3. Confirm Pick-Up Location with Your Driver

Since drivers cannot pick you up on St. Charles, call him to confirm the location where you want to be picked-up (e.g. Napoleon and Prytania). Sometime police will block off certain streets, so confirming your pick-up location is always a good idea so your driver can let you know whether or not that street is accessible. 

**PRO-TIP: Make sure you’re Über notifications are turned ON so you know when you’re driver arrives.

4. Avoid Cleaning Fees

Cleaning charges run from $50-$200 so don’t wear too much glitter or body paint, and if you’re not feeling so well, politely ask the driver to pull over.

**PRO TIP: Avoid glittering your beard (if applicable).

5. Be Respectful!!

Über drivers are spending their Mardi Gras driving people around, so don’t be rude to them!! Look up Über’s Code of Conduct if you’re worried about falling into this category.

For more information:

https://newsroom.uber.com/us-louisiana/mardi-gras-ride-guide/

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2016/01/uber_mardi_gras_new_orleans.html

Now go out there and have an ÜBER-AWESOME MARDI GRAS!! 

Her Campus Tulane