Grammy’s 2014: Who Should Win?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Ah, awards season is upon us. And what a wonderful season it is! For the next month, every Sunday night will be packed with our favorite celebrities in couture gowns on the red carpet winning awards we can all only dream of (my acceptance speech for “Best New Artist” will never be heard outside the comfort of my shampoo bottle and bathroom mirror). This year’s Grammy Awards is sure to be a competitive show, so who should take home the gold?

1. Record of the Year

Nominees: “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk, “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons, “Royals” by Lorde, “Locked Out of Heaven” by Bruno Mars, and “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke feat. T.I. and Pharrell.

Who Should Win: Lorde for “Royals”

2013 was the year of indie music crossing over into mainstream radio. Lorde’s “Royals” became an instant classic and theme song for the millennial generation.

2. Album of the Year

Nominees: “The Blessed Unrest” by Sara Bareillis, “Random Access Memories” by Daft Punk, “Good Kid, M.A.A.D City” by Kendrick Lamar,  “The Heist” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis,  and “Red” by Taylor Swift.

Who Should Win: Taylor Swift for “Red”

Putting aside my personal opinions of Taylor Swift, she should win. This album has number one hit after number one hit, and Swift took risks by changing up her country style and incorporating new genres.

3. Song of the Year

Nominees: “Just Give Me a Reason” by Pink featuring Nate Ruess, “Locked Out of Heaven” by Bruno Mars, “Roar” by Katy Perry, “Royals” by Lorde, and “Same Love” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Mary Lambert

Who Should Win: Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, and Mary Lambert for “Same Love”

This song was the song of the year. 2013 was an incredible year of progress for gay rights, and this song reminds us of the importance of marriage equality and the work that still lies ahead to achieve same-sex equality.

4. Best New Artist

Nominees: James Blake, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Kacey Musgraves, and Ed Sheeran

Who Should Win: Ed Sheeran

Aside from being a beautiful singer with heartfelt songs, Sheeran is also an amazingly talented songwriter, writing songs not only for himself but several others artists as well.

5. Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Nominees: “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk feat. Pharrell and Nile Rodgers, “Just Give Me a Reason” by Pink feat. Nate Reuss, “Stay” by Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko, “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke feat. T.I. and Pharrell, and “Suit and Tie” by Justin Timberlake and Jay Z

Who Should Win: Justin Timberlake and Jay Z for “Suit and Tie”

Anything by Justin Timberlake is great. Anything by Jay Z is great. Combine the two? Pure genius.

6. Best Pop Vocal Album

Nominees: “Paradise” by Lana Del Ray, “Pure Heroine” by Lorde, “Unorthodox Jukebox” by Bruno Mars, “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke, and “The 20/20 Experience- The Complete Experience” by Justin Timberlake

Who Should Win: Lorde for “Pure Heroine”

Lorde’s vocals are on another level. Her entire album is pure and honest while her voice is unique in the best possible way. She brought a new sense of cool to the music industry and her debut album will only be the beginning of what’s to come from this new pop sensation.

*Note: While there are several more categories, I am nowhere near qualified to judge R&B, hip-hop, country, and metal.

*Note Part 2: If The Great Gatsby wins for best soundtrack I will be infuriated. I do not believe dub step and Jay Z played at 1920’s parties.