Going Out in NOLA: SWUG Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

So we get it… you are embracing SWUG life. You go to the Boot Store in sweats for wine, not whiskey, and you never enter the Palms because, let’s face it, Rueben’s pineapple pork gorditas are outside anyway.  Nothing’s new anymore.  You’ve already been through the ropes and maybe most of the fraternity houses. Basically, you’ve done it all, so why should you walk back and forth between the Boot and the Palms? You shouldn’t. So I’ve compiled a short list of fresh places for you SWUGS and maybe you wanna-be Liz Lemons (the ultimate swug), JWUGS.

1.  Bacchanal Wine

This one is my new favorite. You buy your wine, grab one of their bucket and some glasses, pick your table, and enjoy the live music.   And when you are ready to move on from wine (I know that’s hard swugs), upstairs is a beautiful bar with a balcony where you can order some of the most unique cocktails in New Orleans.  But call the bartenders mixologists, and they might throw you out.  

2. The Country Club

Also in the bywater, they have $5 Bloody Marys, $3 wells drinks, and bottomless mimosas.   Good vibes, good food, and good drinks.   Did I mention there is a pool and that it’s clothing optional?  

3.  Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge

The Hotel Monteleone has the only rotating bar in New Orleans, conveniently located on Royal Street in the French Quarter. While this is more of a fancy bar, (swugs you may need to locate that bra you forgot about), it is reasonably priced and the live music is great.

4. The Saint

For those nights when you are in the mood for loud, hot, sweaty dancing.  There is not much to say other than this is one of those dive bars that makes New Orleans what it is.  

5.  Ms. Mae’s

The bar has the cheapest drinks and most diverse people in the city. There’s an air hockey table, a pool table, and a juke box… what more could a swug want? This is a great way to meet boys without actually having to talk to them. Thursday nights are college night so bring your ID and drink for next to nothing.  This is the upgraded 50 cent shot night.

If a swug falls asleep at 7pm on a Saturday night, will anybody notice?