Global Review: Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Nothing gets my heart pumping and adrenaline rushing quite like the start of Fashion Week (even if it is being viewed from the comfort of my bed on my laptop). You do not need to physically attend the fashion shows and after-party events to experience Fashion Week in all its glory, much thanks to the Internet. Vogue.com, the Man Repeller blog, and other fashion sites/blogs give live feeds from each show which can be from either their own respective website, their Instagram account, or another form of social media. Fashion Week is always an exciting time, and this year’s Fashion Week showcasing designer’s Spring/Summer 2015 collections was definitely no exception.

Starting off in New York, minimalism stormed the runways for yet another season. Slicked back hair, next-to-nothing makeup, and ready-to-wear garments dominated almost every designer’s show. Marc Jacobs’ models flaunted black blunt bobs (and bangs) in military inspired garments. Jacobs’ main focus appeared to be jackets. Almost every ensemble in his collection featured one, or an interpretation of one. They were dressed in hues of cargo, navy, and charcoal. For Rachel Zoe’s collection, a color palette of cream, peach, and black was demonstrated in the form of long, flowing dresses, mini-dresses, and two-piece sets. Zoe’s models strutted down the catwalk with fresh-looking skin, black winged eyeliner, and braided up-do’s with a center parting.

Next stop on the Fashion Week grid is London, where the catwalks picked up the momentum from the New York runways, full speed. Tom Ford showcased his Spring/Summer 2015 collection with a bang. Each model sent down the runway was adorned in leather and satin with accents of metallic, mesh, and sequins. Each model sported a grungy-chich glow through their intense bed-head hair, dark smoky eye, and prominant choker necklace.

In Paris, similar trends to that of Tom Ford’s collection were very much prevalent. Givenchy was one of the home-openers for Fashion Week in Paris. Much like Tom Ford, Givenchy opted for a simplified color palette, sticking to black and white with some brown scattered throughout. There was a healthy mix of structured and bold pieces with soft and fluid ones. The models’ hair was kept sleek and straight, with dewy face makeup and a bold wash of gold shadow over the eyes, extending out towards the hairline. Céline showcased a diverse and thought-provoking collection for this season. Cream jumpsuits, green and leather paneled jackets, and mustard culottes were all encompassed in Céline Spring/Summer 2015. Structures and shapes made the line cohesive, while the wide range of fabrics and colors made the line pseudo-fun and playful.

And now, for the grand finale of Fashion Week S/S 2015, we set sail to Milan. Versace’s collection was a stand out among the rest. The theme throughout the show was dresses with geometric paneling, throwing two-piece sets in between.  Versace’s collection was filled with bright, bold colors and geometric shapes and cutouts. With all the color and business going on with the garments, Versace kept the models’ hair and makeup minimal. This pattern of slicked back hair and next to no makeup allowed the clothes to take center stage on the Versace runway.

This years Spring/Summer Fashion Week was filled with innovative collections and unique cohesion patterns. I will definitely be pulling much inspiration from these runways around the globe. 

~Meaghan 

Her Campus Tulane